A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Pawn Shop Circuit: Ladysmith

I drove by Neil's today, and I went inside to get my Smith & Wesson Model 65-5 Ladysmith off layaway. Neil had stored her well, and she only required a bit of cleaning to meet her full potential. Neil got me a 4473 to fill out as I gave the revolver one last series of checks prior to laying my money down.

This revolver has almost anything a person could want in a carry gun. Top drawer reliability. The most effective caliber on record. Fixed sights. A non-wearing finish. A smooth trigger. The three inch barrel affords the carrier full extraction of empty cases, while minimizing the barrel to a concealable length. The round butt of the revolver means it is much less likely to print through clothing. For $299, it was a heck of a deal.

The only negative is the engraving of the Ladysmith script in the sideplate. On this revolver, it is actual engraving, and not easily removed. In the final analysis though, who cares if it is labeled ladysmith? It is one of the finest K frame carry revolvers ever produced by Smith & Wesson. It does have MIM lockwork, but it has no zit lock. A blue finish, recessed chambers and a pinned barrel would be the only way to improve on this gun. On a carry gun, even that is superfluous. Maybe a trip to Clark's for a meltdown.........

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks & sounds awsome. Now I want to go have one too. As if I needed any help spending money this month!

5:00 PM  
Blogger roninaz said...

That is one lovely revolver.

I have seen that one and liked it myself.

Too bad the pawn shops around here try to sell their firearms for brand new prices.

Even those in deplorable condition.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

4475?

That's a 4473 to be pedantic.

That one has to fill out any form to exercise one's 2nd amendment rights is an indictment of how far this country has fallen from freedom.

Makes it hard to want to sacrifice. Screw America as it now stands.

9:58 PM  
Blogger DesertRat said...

I used to have a Model 65, after weeks of customizing it to be the perfect ladies gun we showed it to a Smith & Wesson Factory Rep. and like a moron I sold it.

It took me years but I was finally able to find one like the one I had sold. I promptly customized that one as well, but it's not going anywhere.

I never made a blog entry about it. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

11:39 PM  
Blogger DesertRat said...

I used to have a Model 65, after weeks of customizing it to be the perfect ladies gun we showed it to a Smith & Wesson Factory Rep. and like a moron I sold it.

It took me years but I was finally able to find one like the one I had sold. I promptly customized that one as well, but it's not going anywhere.

I never made a blog entry about it. I think I'll do that tomorrow.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

Like roninaz, I notice that you get revolvers for about $100.00 less than the pawn shop prices around here.

That M65 is one nice piece, though.

6:59 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I noticed the same price difference, too. About $100.

Heh. Maybe I should move to pursue my hobby...

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such a buetiful piece. I wish we had such pawn shops were I live at. But, they all stink. I hope you enjoy it and if you ever dicide to sell it come on over to Georgia and I will take it off of your hands.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet gun! I too wondered about carrying a "ladysmith" till it occured to me, it a GUN!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Xavier constantly finds deals for $100-200 less than pawn shows around here. I've yet to see any S&W around here (in good condition) in MS. for less than $350. Most of the time I can buy the latest new model for what they're asking. You wouldn't be fudging those numbers cause your wife reads this, would you? ;-)

3:06 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Heh.
Now who would do something like that, diamondback? ;)

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home