A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Polymer Memories

When the HK USP was first imported to the States, in 1993, I knew I had to have one. Polymer seemed to be taking over the handgun market back then. Glocks were a huge success, but the sculpted angles of the USP slide, along with it's grip angle and thumb safety appealed to me more. I finally found this full size HK USP in .40S&W, used, and I quickly bought it. I had Tritium sights mounted, and with the HK bright light, I felt ready to take on the night's boogey men. I have since purchased a compact USP, as well as a P7.

Over the years, I have adopted the shotgun for home defense. I have gone to the 1911 as my semi-auto handgun of choice. I don't shoot the old HK much anymore. The .40 caliber ammunition is as expensive as .45ACP, and I would rather shoot old slabsides. I removed the HK from it's drawer today, cleared it, and dry fired it a bit. I have to wonder how I ever tolerated that trigger. The gun is stone reliable, and it's accurate enough, but the trigger is awful, gritty and stacking. But never let it be said that I did not try the plastic fantastics. Heck I even owned a Glock for a few days......I just found a gun I like a hell of a lot better, that I shoot a hell of a lot better, in the 1911. I was young then. I was easily influenced by things such as "hostile environment" finishes. I finally found my way though, the same way so many before me found, to the single stack brainchild of John Moses.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that you are anti-polymer, let alone Glock. Me, I love both my Glock and my 1911. Both have served me well. Even thought I will admit that I can't wait to have enough money for a Commander to make as a carry weapon. But I still love my 1st gerneration Glock.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I'm not "anti-polymer". I've just moved on.

6:01 PM  
Blogger AnarchAngel said...

I actually rather like my USP compact .45; but I had the HK factory armorers do a full action job on mine. Before that the trigger was.. not good.

I'll always be a 1911man, but the USP is a great carry gun, and quite a bit lighter than my commander.

2:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, does this mean you will sell the UTL cheap?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Benjamin said...

Have to admit that I am a recent convert. With a little training, one comes to realize that magazine capacity can easily be matched by caliber size and practiced reloads.

Once I argued that the Glock was the king of defensive pistols. Now, carrying one would not even occur to me.


Best regards,
Benjamin

4:46 PM  
Blogger Mulliga said...

Glock, USP, 1911 - they all shoot bullets. I like 'em all.

...I just like CZs best.

:)

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like my USP. I shoot it often. At some point in the last month, I decided to rent a 1911 at the range (the range guys were nice and gave me an SA and a Les Bauer for the price of one rental). I don't know why I did it, but I liked it.

What got me thinking about 1911's? What got Xavier thinking about his old USP? Is it the time of year? Is there some corelation between USP lovers and 1911 lovers?

These are the mysteries of the universe.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that finding the right gun is highly dependent on personal preference. I've shot every gun I could get my hands on, and yet - to me - there two kinds of guns: Glocks and everything else. The Glock fits my hands just right straight out of the box. 9 mm, 10 mm, .45, .40, .357 sig, full size, compact and baby, I like them all!

The 1911 is arguably a better gun (CDP isn't its own class in IDPA for nothing), but when it comes to a carry gun, I prefer my Glock 19, because it is lighter and I have absolute confidence in my ability to put a bullet exactly where I want really fast.

Different strokes for different folks....

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. 40 USP was one of my early purchases too... now I'm all about the Colt 1911. This is almost my exact same firearm history. Weird.

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home