A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, January 20, 2007

CHP Class

Earlier this week, I received notice that the renewal time for my concealed handgun permit was coming up fast. Thus, one of the first things on my list this morning was to check with a friend on getting the required class scheduled. I called Chris, who told me he was teaching a class that very moment. (You have to love cell phones.......) I told him I would be there in five minutes, and I grabbed my carry gun and a box of ammo to qualify with.

As I slipped into the classroom, and behind a table, Chris placed the class on break and asked me if I was armed. I relinquished my 1911 to the locked gun range. Chris brought me up to speed with the lecture, and then told me I really didn't have to stay, that he would issue me the required certificate. I told him I wanted the course.

It was a heartening mix of people taking the course, four white women of varying ages, and two young black men along with eight white men. Sadly, there were no black women present. I sat through another two hours of NRA sanctioned instruction, discussing the parts of handguns and the various methods of shooting them. There were parts of the discussion that I did not perzackly agree with, such as the cautions to not modify your carry gun, and other speculatory statements. I refrained from asking questions and presenting my point of view. Frankly, I was glad to be let into the class on such short notice. Chris was the instructor, I was the student.

After a short break for lunch and a briefing on range rules, it was time to shoot. The handguns in attendance included two Hi Points, an XD, Glocks, several revolvers, and a CZ something or another. There was a very nice flat latch Chief's Special being shot by a young lady, and an older gentleman produced a nickel Model 36-1 in the original box. Both of those old Smiths caught my eye.

Several of the participants were new shooters, so they received some familiarization fire before we began qualifying. Once everyone felt reasonably comfortable, Chris began to let us qualify, four at a time. I had been used as an example during the lecture portion, so it seemed all eyes were on me as I stepped forward to qualify. The course of fire to qualify was pretty rudimentary. Six rounds, reload and fire six more at ten feet. Do the same again at 15 feet. Then again at 21 feet, keeping all shots COM on a LAP1 target. There was no time limit. I had not shot my carry gun in a couple of weeks, but I was determined to show why a 1911 is my choice. I completed each segment of the course of fire in under eight seconds, laid my weapon action open on the table and waited for the other shooters to catch up before running my target out to the next distance.

I guess I was wrong to show off, but the little comments about my old Colt had grated me long enough. The light shining through my target said all that needed to be said. Now I just need to get passport photos.......

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Less said...

Does anyone else wear a suit
for official photos/passports?

I always make sure to do so...

It is the same as having a $100.00
in your pocket; a touch of
confidence and respect.

7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always were a suit to anything remotely formal--work, sitting for official photos, etc.

I teach in a juvenile justice setting and always wear a suit.

This gives me an advantage that is as tangible and quantifiable as it is hard to fully explain on purely rational and empirical grounds.

Unlike virtually every other teacher where I work, I hold classes in which the students do not fight.

My students engage in less activity warranting disciplinary action than any other teachers' student--including teachers who've been at it for decades.

I am "new" to teaching in this setting--going on 20 months' experience.

I attribute my impact in no small measure to the suit I wear every day rather than the ACLU or AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL T-shirts worn by other teachers.

A suit sends a message: I MEAN BUSINESS.

That message serves me well.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Mulliga said...

Sometimes I get bit by the showboating bug, too.

Part of the reason is that my carry guns are invariably CZs, and outside of the gun culture, no one has ever heard of them.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

Xavier,

Did I understand you correctly when you say you shot 12 rounds and did a reload in under eight seconds? Very nice shooting. Fast and accurate. I'm nowhere near that skill level yet, but I am working on it.

I'm impressed.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Six rounds, reload, six rounds.
There was no timer, so it's not official. I'm guessing at the time by counting my rate of fire while looking at my watch.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier, nice shootin'. :) Also, a quick note about passports if you didn't already know. The new ones will all come with RFID chips in them. So you'll want to be careful handling your new passport because if the chip were to somehow be disabled after a hammer accidentally fell on it, I think it would be a real shame.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

What little comments were there about your Colt?

8:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to Ms. Ricci's Comment: Well, it looks like I won't be traveling anytime soon... I wonder what they do to people who have a legitimate, demonstrable (spelling), opposition to the technology to the point that they cut them out of their student ID cards and try to remove them from anything they own. Just curious.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, but this seems like a community of people who would be opposed to technology with such potential for abuse the "authorities," and I was curious as to just what y'all were thinking.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With 6+6, how are the J-framers supposed to qualify?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

With 6+6, how are the J-framers supposed to qualify?

They shoot 5+5+2

Another reason there is no time limit.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also curious about the comments regarding your "old Colt". Were these comments at the class or just a combination of places?

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned quite a few revolvers in you CHL class. In Texas if you qualify with a revolver you are limited to carrying revolvers only. If you qualify with a semiauto you can carry either. Is Louisiana more rational abaout that?

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys down ther in lousiana still have to get yours renewed, that is why I love the state of Indiana. We can get ours for LIFE.
Critic482

4:27 PM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

I've got this funny image in my mind of Xavier shooting with the gun in one hand while looking at his watch on his other wrist. ;-)

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suits? Suits!

Hate the bloody things but gotta say, people treat you a lot different when your wearing...

Probably shows what shallow little gits they are, but it does work a treat on some.

as for chipped cards and passports, did you ever try putting a banknote with a foil strip in in into the microwave and see the sparks fly?

Now just suposin that nice new document got wet and you were to dry it out quickly....

3:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You saw a flat latch chief's special? Cool!

Do you happen to know more info about flat latch S&W? I am having difficulties finding info for my Model 51.

Somehow, I feel my m51 belongs to the fewer batch that were made...it has a flat latch and round butt. It uses a coil spring and it's stainless...not sure if it was just chromed...Anyhow, i'd really appreciate any information you could give.

Thanks!

hoofy

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home