A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, February 25, 2007

AWB2 Sample Letters

[Date]



[Recipient's Name and Address]





Dear [Senator or Representative],

I am writing regarding an upcoming matter that is of the utmost importance to me and the many other gun owners in our state...the 2007 “Assault Weapons” Ban, HB 1022. As was stated in a DOJ study on the effects of the ban released in 1999, a significant impact on gun related crime as a result of the ban was not seen nor expected, given the fact that “assault weapons” were only very rarely used in crime.

Targeting a certain group of firearms based on cosmetic and ergonomic features that have no impact whatsoever on the weapons’ lethality simply does not make sense to me.

As there has been no substantive evidence presented that it has had any significant effect on reducing crime, and as it represents a serious infringement on Second Amendment rights that has produced no worthwhile public safety benefit, I respectfully urge you to oppose any effort to renew the ban.

I would appreciate a reply from you to learn your position on this very important issue.



Sincerely,



[Your Name]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Date]



[Recipient's Name and Address]





Dear [Senator or Representative],

I am writing to make you aware that the "assault weapons ban" is again coming up for consideration as HB 1022. This legislation never reduced crime, and only affected law-abiding citizens.

Any citizen who wants to purchase any rifle has to pass the instant background check. The background check prevents criminals from buying these firearms, therefore the law will only affect a law-abiding citizen.

Please oppose a renewal of the ban. I will not vote for, or support, any candidate that votes for a renewal, or attempts to get a renewal to the floor for a vote.



Sincerely,



[Your Name]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Date]



[Recipient's Name and Address]





Dear [Senator or Representative],

I am writing to remind you that an "Assault Weapons Ban" bill, HB 1022, is coming up for consideration. A provision of this law restricts magazine capacity to 10 rounds.

In my area, statistics show a better than 60% chance of encountering multiple attackers. In over 50% of encounters with my local sheriff deputies, the criminals are wearing body armor. Gang members use a term "vesting up" to refer to the practice of wearing body armor while perpetrating criminal offenses.

A normal citizen that encounters multiple attackers, or attackers wearing body armor, will need more than 10 rounds. This restriction may well be endangering the lives of law-abiding citizens.

I respectfully request that you oppose any renewal to this law. I will not vote for, or monetarily support, anyone that restricts my ability to defend my family or myself.



Sincerely,



[Your Name]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Date]



[Recipient's Name and Address]





Dear Chairman [Name],

As you know, HB 1022, what some people call the "New Assault Weapons Ban" is up for consideration. This will be a decisive issue for your party, and your ability to get candidates elected.

In 1994, a similar bill was passed by a Democrat majority House of Representative and Senate. Two months later, for the first time in nearly 50 years, the Republicans won a majority in the House and also the Senate. These two circumstances are linked. Gun owners took the democrats out of control and put the Republicans in. In every election since, gun owners have made the difference in the majority. We plan to do the same thing in 2007

Millions of gun owners will be watching this issue. We are in every precinct, in every county, in every state of the country. That is a dense saturation of votes.

However your party stands on this issue, will determine how those millions of gun owners will vote.

I, like millions of others, will not vote for a party that stood against my Constitutional rights. Letting the ban sunset is in your best interest.



Sincerely,



[Your Name]
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Date]



[Recipient's Name and Address]





Dear Chairman [Name],

As you know, the Republicans won the majority in the Congress in 1994, two months after the passage of the first so-called "Assault Weapons Ban". It is America's gun owners who have made the difference in every election since 1994. It is America's gun owners that will make a difference in 2008.

Will your party support or oppose a renewal of HB 1022, the "New Assault Weapons Ban", knowing it will be political suicide to support it?

Millions of gun owners, including myself, all across the nation will be watching this issue, and this issue will be the determining factor in how those millions of gun owners will vote.



Sincerely,



[Your Name]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to cut and paste. No excuses. No excuses at all. Fire at will.

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Sterno said...

I'm really glad you posted these sample letters. I'd have email my Congresspeople two days ago but I could come up with a letter that came across well.

Now I'm off to get them sent off!

10:37 AM  
Blogger Sterno said...

One more this I added (being from southeast Louisiana):

"A normal citizen that encounters multiple attackers, or attackers wearing body armor, will need more than 10 rounds. This restriction may well be endangering the lives of law-abiding citizens. This was fully illustrated in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina when law enforcement was not able to respond to our calls for help."

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Xavier; letter sent, and I will pass the suggestion to others.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the links and the samples, The wife and I have both emailed our senators and our representative!

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the SanFrisBay, with a full load of Loony-Lefty-Dingys in office.
I've been told the only result from writing these idiots is to have my name entered in a file of dangerous people to keep an official eye on. Any thoughts on the usefullness of comms to Di Frankenstien, et al.?

BTW,I'm planning on switching from
Lib'rian to Rep'tilian, so I can help decide who runs in the final.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having Barbara Boxer, Diane Feinstein, and George Miller as one's Federal legislators - and -I- didn't vote for that trio - there isn't a lot of point to it.

I still do; it's important that someone tallies that there are some people opposing such bad law, but there's no reasonable expectation of changing any of their minds.

JohnS

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you posted these sample letters. But, from the discussion boards. It seems that everyone is already planning for the worst, and not contacting their representatives. This is BAD. We need to make our voices heard!!! We need to focus on getting the word out, and not buying more guns in anticipation of the ban!!!!

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
I hope the previous comment is incorrect.
I took the liberty of posting a link to your sample letters on the Smith & Wesson Forum Lounge site urging folks to contact their representatives.
Thank you for making these letters available.
I enjoy your blog very much.
Catman253
S&W Forum

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog daily. Keep up the good work.

I was prompted by this blog post to write my representitives in the House and Senate. I've received two responses. One not so good from Congressman Raul M. Grijalva (an email). Another VERY positive response from Sen. Jon Kyl (an actual signed letter). I was wondering if you'd like copies of these for inclusion in your blog?

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your blog daily. Keep up the good work.

I was prompted by this blog post to write my representitives in the House and Senate. I've received two responses. One not so good from Congressman Raul M. Grijalva (an email). Another VERY positive response from Sen. Jon Kyl (an actual signed letter). I was wondering if you'd like copies of these for inclusion in your blog?

7:32 PM  
Blogger maddy said...

Really great post. Am daily reading your blog. keep up the good work. thanks!
Sample Letters

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home