A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Remington Rand Ramblings

Thus far, I have learned I own a Type III Remington Rand M1911A1. Everything appears to be correct about my pistol except for the barrel. Apparently I have a post-war Colt barrel in my pistol. It should have a High Standard (HS) GI barrel. The magazine, made by General Shaver, appears to be the original magazine. I am hoping the original owner can enlighten me to the barrel exchange reasons.

I have also learned a means of detecting a refinish job on a Remington Rand that is known by only a few collectors. It is, in fact rarely mentioned, lest fakers learn how to disguise their forgeries. Because of this, I can say my pistol has never been refinished.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he likely replaced the barrel either because he was in such a hurry to go home he forgot to clean it before he stashed it somewhere and the ammo back then corroded it or he found it wouldnt shoot hollowpoints and some one sold him a replacement colt barrel. My guess is the corrosion.

5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THis pistol was PROBABLY re-barreled after WW II, as so many were, probably for the Korean Conflict.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home