A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, March 04, 2007

This Damned House

The pipe had apparently leaked for some time. The sill was weakened as a result. Yesterday, as my wife washed dishes, I noticed a torrent of water rushing from between the clapboards outside of our home. This morning, I cut away clapboards to gain access to the pipes.

PVC under the sink was joined to lead pipe, which was then, in turn joined to cast iron. The lead pipe had burst. I replaced all the lead pipe with schedule 40 PVC, and then decided to leave the clapboards off so the wood could dry.

Unfortunately, once I cured the leak, I encountered a clog that was further down the line. I climbed up on the roof to access the vent with an electric rotary snake, and after 45 minutes or so of roter rooting, the drains ran clear.

Next up........Repairing the sill. Don't watch This Old House with your wife while in the real estate market. It isn't worth it!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger dropdownstairs said...

Mazel tov!
I too have carried the rotary snake onto the roof.
Composed a song to the tune of "Fiddler on the roof" just substitue the colloclial term for fiddler...

6:54 AM  
Blogger Pawpaw said...

I feel your pain, brother. Been there, done that.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, preach that, Xav. Love my 1920's-era farmhouse ... except when I hate it.

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the drains are slow all through my old house; i'll likely have to roto-root the vent, too. that'll be fun, just as soon as two feet of snow melt off the ground so i can find the vent.

unless of course it's tree roots growing into the sewer line, a distinct possibility. that would be much, much more fun, i'm sure.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you'd laugh at my 40 year old plumbing woes.

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those guys make it all seem so easy!

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home