A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, August 17, 2007

Damn It's Hot!

I came home from a 14 hour day at the hospital today to find a scorching hot house. What the hell. I checked the thermostat and breakers. The circuit breaker was tripped and would not reset. Damn. I went outside to the primary unit, and gave it the old sniff test. Through the upper louvers, I could discern the distinct scent of fried compressor windings. Crap. That's about right, I suppose. 102 degrees in the shade and the damned A/C decides to crap out on me. On the weekend.

I call a serviceman, who comes over to confirm my diagnosis. Compressors are giving up the ghost all over town in the heat. Luckily my A/C is still under warranty, and the serviceman tells me he can order a new compressor on Monday, have it overnighted, and install it while I am at work on Tuesday. Holy Jesus with a tire tool! Four freaking days, two of which absolutely nothing will be done? Yes sir. Is there a damned window unit for sale anywhere in this town? Hell no. I sent the family to the Holiday Inn.

As for me, on Monday, I will start a two day course to learn new procedures. I need to study like hell. I've already loaded the study CD and algorithms on my computer, and I guess I will have to endure the devilish heat to prepare. Hell, I've been through worse, I suppose. Time to start designing.......

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, and here I am with three window air conditioner units that I want to get rid of, and a cold weather trend in the Northeast that's lasted since February.

Hope you've got a basement and a fan.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a backup post that August 28 is Buy Ammo day according to War On Guns.

3:53 PM  
Blogger freddyboomboom said...

Philippine Sea, middle of (June/July/August) and the AC goes out in the berthing compartment, that's just off the hangar bay.

Yup, could be worse...

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If they replace your compressor make sure the guy pumps the unit down good and replaces your filter dryer. This will prevent you from doing this all over again next year.

7:04 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Wow, - so sorry this happened to y'all. I'd be checking into Holiday Inn, too. That, or camped out in the local mall. I hope they get it fixed faster than promised. Study hard and stay cool!

11:41 PM  
Blogger LBJ said...

I was based sd s piloy in Palm Springs for two years. Everyone goes "Oh. . lucky you. PALM Springs!" envisioning palm trees and cabana boys and pools. What I had was a 170 degree turboprop on the ramp in 126 temps to fly through the worst gosh darn turblance on the planet 4 times to LAX each day.

I feel for you man. . it's NOT fun to be hot.

by the way. . I added you to my blogroll today.

Sig Sauer girl.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Yep, I remember that Freddy! I slept on the port sponson or between the tails of one of our F-18s during that time!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to replace my entire central unit as it failed on july 5th. Oh well, it did last 22 years.

Tok

8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home