A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, August 02, 2007

Letter to ebay

mhalprin@eBay.com


Sir,
I would like you to know that ebay's recent decision to ban the trade of gun parts based on the VT massacre is misguided and wrong. While ebay, being a private enterprise, can make any decision they feel is necessary, the rationale for this decision is flawed.

The killer at Virginia Tech did use magazine purchased on ebay. He could have just as easily killed while wearing sneakers purchased on ebay or driven a car purchased on ebay. In fact, the sale of unsafe, unregulated and uninspected automobiles and their components on ebay bothers me greatly. I wonder how many auto accidents are caused by faulty auto parts traded on ebay.

I do not feel this recent decision is made in the interest of public safety, a safe auction atmosphere or a trustworthy marketplace. I believe the tragedy at Virginia Tech simply gave the powers that be at ebay the opportunity to implement a long standing anti-gun bias. They saw their opportunity, and they took it.

With that in mind, I fully intend to sever all relations with ebay and PayPal on implementation of this policy. Bear in mind that I trade many items on ebay, not just gun parts.

Please do not send me the same canned response you have sent to other sellers. I have already read it. It is published again and again in many forums and chatrooms outside of ebay's control. In fact, I will cut and paste it here for you. If you would like to send me a canned response, please make it a bit different. A little variety never hurt anyone, and I will know an actual human being read this email.

Thank you,
Xavier B.

Dear [recipient],

Thank you for your recent email to Matt Halprin in regard to changes to
our Firearms, Weapons and Knives policy. He has asked that I review
your email and respond on his behalf.

Let me start by saying that I understand that this is a very
frustrating situation. Before choosing to discontinue use of your eBay and
PayPal accounts I hope that you would allow me the opportunity to explain
why we have chosen to amend our policy.

Like the rest of the nation, eBay was deeply saddened and shocked by
the events at Virginia Tech and we felt that it was not only appropriate,
but necessary, to revisit our related policies. While nothing purchased
on our site was illegal in any way, we felt compelled to ask ourselves
some tough questions and ensure we do everything possible to provide a
safe and trusted marketplace. After careful consideration, we decided
to expand the scope of our existing policy to specifically restrict any
part that is required for the firing of a gun.

We have always valued an open and transparent marketplace; if items are
legal to buy and sell in an unrestricted manner we allow them on our
site. However, there are some items that while legal, may not be safe
for our marketplace. In these instances, our applicable policies go
beyond the law to ensure that our marketplace is safe.

After careful consideration our executives and our Trust and Safety
team determined, that while legal, any item required to fire a gun has no
place on eBay. All of our policies are under constant review. As the
Internet and the way our communities use the Internet evolves, our
policies and our marketplace must evolve with it. We determined that
this policy change was in the best interest of promoting a safe
marketplace for all members.

I understand your frustration regarding this matter and apologize for
the inconvenience it caused you.

Sincerely,

Terri
Office of the President

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Keith Walker said...

If ebay has a letter they are sending out in response to people severing their relationship with them because of their recent change in gun policy, it is obvious that many people are sending them letters of complaint.

Here is what I want to know. How many letters will they receive from people informing ebay that they will now start using their services because of this new policy? From strictly a business point of view, this is a dumb decision.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears that ebay is not interested in reason. I would suggest that we hit them where it huts... in the pocketbook.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you that their decision sucks, and I'll probably stop using them, too. That said, I think that their decision was driven by one thing and one thing only after VT - fear of litigation (by a VT family or someone else.) It wouldn't be the first time that there were punitive damages awarded even though no law was broken. (Cigarettes, anyone?)

5:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I cancelled both my 10-year-old eBay account and my Paypal account yesterday. Good riddance.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another case of poltical correctnest gone wild.
You can not sell any historic WW2 item from Germany on e-bay because it promotes hate.
Does any miltary item promote war.
Sold a plastic model of a Sherman Tank which I guess started the war in Traq

5:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One may well wonder if anyone has pointed out to the sheeple at ebay that by their actions, they have contributed to the next slaughter by further restricting access to those selfsame tools of freedom and defense used to counter - or abruptly end - the next attack.

10:32 PM  
Blogger "Gunner" said...

I've already canceled my ebay and pay pal accounts.This was the final straw. I will never purchase from ebay again. I hope that enough people will cancel accounts with ebay to have some effect on them.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Firehand said...

Yep, standard canned response, same as I got.

Cancelled mine right after I got it.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with banning use of ebay for taking away my rights, but heres the big question that I have not heard the answer for... Which auction web site will be the next Ebay for legal law abiding people to sell barrels, brass and non FFL guns parts on? Is it going to be auctionarms, guns america?? We need to come together and establish the common place that will not trample the second ammendment...

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

eBay's response came from a Terri Dianzo with the pretentious sounding "Office of the President." This "office" is actually a small department, which is an extension of eBay's Trust & Safety division. Terri Dianzo works out of the Salt Lake City location and claims to be the "highest level" or "last stop" for all escalated complaints regarding eBay policy or suspensions. Once you have reached her level, any future correspondences or attempts to reach her superiors are intercepted and forwarded back to her. The web is littered with horror stories about Terri and the notorious "Office of the President." Fortunately there is a way around this cunt. eBay's Government Relations department. Complaints submitted to this department (especially through government channels) can often overturn unfair policies and suspensions.

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home