A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Badge

I had an administrator eyeball me in the elevator today. Then, suddenly from nowhere, he told me I should not wear a Bobcat badge on the lapel of my labcoat. I suppose he thought he was the war ignorant General who dressed down Joker in Full Metal Jacket for his peace sign and the "Born To Kill" inscription on his helmet.

Here's the deal. I ain't Joker, and this ain't the damned military. I did my time, I'm proud of my military service, and now, I'll tack whatever I damned well please on my lapel. The hospital I work at has nothing to say about it as long as it's tasteful. If the pencil pushing prick had nicely inquired, he might have learned that that pin was given to me in 1995 by an eight year old boy who almost lost his leg in a hunting accident involving a shotgun. Jeremy suffered a wound in his thigh that required multiple skin grafts and painful debridement over a period of eight months. He had injured his leg crossing a fence during dove season. I saved his leg against terrible odds. He managed to complete his dream of going deer hunting with his father. When I say I fought terrible odds to heal his wound and save his leg, it was because he was undergoing chemotherapy at the time. He died the following year.

Jeremy gave me his Bobcat badge to remember him by. He felt it was one of his most significant achievements. I disagree. One of his most significant achievements was to give me that badge as a reminder of why I do this job, as a bit of solace when everything falls apart around me, as recognition that I did make a difference for someone, and I can again, each day if I so chose.

So yeah Mr. Administrator.........I'm going to wear may Bobcat badge. It's not going anywhere. In a time when highly trained nurses are hard to come by, you do what you feel you must. I can secure another job with a simple phone call. You ain't taking this badge.

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger breda said...

awww, Xavier. Bless you. Thank you for such a lovely story.

5:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did, and I'm sure you still do, a Scout's "good turn daily."

Even without the heart-rending story behind that particular Bobcat badge, why should anybody have a problem with a Scouting insignia at all???

I'd venture to guess that mister assministrator is also an anti. Does he know you carry? Does he know hospitals are considered valid targets by the islamofacists?

Thanks for your post and your blog. I check it daily, eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Perpster

8:33 PM  
Blogger Cliff_1911A1 said...

That's a sad commentary... and I wanted to write something along the lines of how big a prick the guy was... but I shall not do that today.

Your administrator should have greeted you in the elevator... inquired how you were doing... wanted to know if you had everything essential to meet your patients' needs... and expressed his personal gratitude for your dedication to those the hospital serves.

Then, he might have inquired of you regarding the extra badge you were wearing rather than coldly informing you about official hospital dress policy.

He did none of that. He missed a fabulous opportunity to build a bridge with you.

How's the hosptial's retention of experienced professional nurses going lately? That's the larger picture he obviously fails to see.

Perhaps your administrator is just a prick afterall... oops!! I wasn't gonna say that!!

FWIW, I had a less than minor surgery in late August. While I won't discount the surgeon's expertise, I don't recall a single event from during that surgery... but I do vividly recall the care that I received from the nurses on duty... before and after!

Someone needs to remind your administrator guy- no nurses... no hospital.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

Stand fast.

The trust and honor of children is one of the greatest gifts we can ever receive, especially when it is deserved.

Don't give in.

Mr Fixit

8:39 PM  
Blogger Wadical said...

Here Here!!

1:10 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

How dare he. You earned that badge, and good on you for keeping your priorities straight.

1:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfrickingbelievable.......How dare he?

5:01 AM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

He probably was intimidated by a working man.
Next time you could offer to
but say HIPPA forbids it and if you told him you'd have to kill him.

I thank you for your efforts as a prosthetist.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jay G said...

Oughta give a tear-jerker warning on that one, Xav.

Especially because I'm starting out as an assistant Cubmaster to my son's cub scout pack, and the thought of losing any of my boys just tears me up...

Good on you. And screw the heartless bastard.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Ride Fast said...

I don't know where you find the strength to soldier on when we lose a child. Thank you from someone who couldn't do your job.

9:30 PM  
Blogger scalpel said...

I freaking hate hate hate administrative busybodies who pull crap like that. I'm glad you stood your ground.

8:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I have worked nights since 1999. "Less administrative types."

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on yer.

May your next job (needs must) offer better hours and pay.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home