A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Negligent Discharge Account

From The High Road:
So today I had a negligent discharge this evening. I got complacent and forgot that I had put two rounds of buckshot in my HD shotgun's magazine tube. I pumped it once nothing came out and I assumed that it was empty. So I decided to dry fire it. I brought it up to my shoulder and lined up the ghost ring sights and pulled the trigger.

The worst sound is when you hear a bang instead of a click.
My room smelled like gunpowder, my ears were ringing and I saw a golf ball sized hole in my mirror and I could see into my wall.

Seeing that hole and hearing that boom was the worst and most surreal moment of my life. The first thought that went through my head was, "I can't believe I just did that". The 00 buckshot did not penetrate through the house so that is a blessing.

After it happened I wanted to cry, vomit and a lot of other things all at the same time because I did not believe what I had done. I am going to keep the empty shot shell as a visible reminder of what happened today. I really thought that it would never happen to me. But further possible tragedy was averted because I had the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Afterwards I went for a drive to clear my mind. I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight because I am so keyed up. I know I screwed up and I am forever going to be more careful. So that is my story...

Glock22

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I teach basic firearm safety at a local range. Before one class began I was sitting up front speaking to a student when we all heard the BANG. Turns out an off duty Sheriff's Deputy had brought in a revolver, dumped the cylinder and given it to another person to "test the trigger." The other person took the revolver "he just saw the other man unload" and began pressing the trigger to feel how smooth it was. Press number two or three resulted in the BANG. Turns out when the deputy "emptied" the cylinder, one round got hung up and neither man noticed it. Check - and then check again! One second of cheap insurance.

1:34 AM  
Blogger Weetabix said...

Good reminder that it could happen to me.

It took guts for the guy to post that.

10:12 AM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

ditto
God was good and only glass plaster and my ego were destroyed
had a hammer follow and d/c
now I no longer allow ammo or magazines in weapon inside house

11:27 AM  
Blogger NotClauswitz said...

I would have felt nauseous too.

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was in the army, they taught us to clear the action by racking the cocking handle three times.

Its the only way to be sure.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No, the only way to be sure is to visually check every location a cartridge could be in the firearm. In the case of a pump shotgun that would be the magazine, the carrier, and the chamber. Merely cycling the action can dislodge a stuck round and chamber it.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that. Your humility may save a life.

Reminds me to always look and touch to prove weapon clear.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Last Chance Safari Company said...

has happened to me and will happen again, the important thing is that most of all, it was pointed in a safe direction. my wife and both of my daughters have been taught all guns are loaded, treat them accordingly. We shoot them, we handle them, and we treat them wwith the respect they deserve because they have deadly potential. I have had ND's ...because of this or that, but fortunately the firearm was alwaays pointed in a safe direction.

9:44 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

a lesson learned can save a lot of grief down the road.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheap lesson.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Laughingdog said...

"When I was in the army, they taught us to clear the action by racking the cocking handle three times."

I've always done the same thing, though no one had actually taught me to do it. I've always been "ridiculously anal" about gun safety (someone else's words, hence the quotes).

In the past, I had commented on some gun forums that motorcycles and guns have one thing in common: You've either made a mistake (accident/Neg. Disch.), or it's somewhere around the corner. Saying that brought a firestorm of criticism down on me from people that I was just anti-gun, and if they felt that way, they wouldn't even carry.

I tend to think that if you aren't always aware, every time that you are holding a firearm, that you're one careless mistake away from a negligent discharge, you probably shouldn't be holding the firearm in the first place.

This isn't a criticism of Glock 22, if it comes across that way. It's just a perfect time to remind people that, when it comes to fireamrs, "It can't happen to me" tends to ensure that it soon will.

Everyone, please be "excessively safe", so we don't give the antis more arguments for why we shouldn't have our guns.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. It is easy to become complacent. I bookmarked this one to remind myself not to get that way.

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See my comment at THR.

~ASMS

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home