A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Pawn Shop Circuit: Handguns & Hurricanes

I swung into Kenny's shop today to say hello and check out the merchandise. Kenny greeted me with a smile, but he shook his head when I asked if he had anything old and blue. I went to take a gander at his stock anyway.

Kenny had a Beretta 92FS on the shelf. That is not a common pistol to find in a pawnshop. They are almost always reliable, given a decent magazine. This one was in decent enough shape, with a fair amount of finish wear. It was obviously a duty gun. Kenny had it priced attractively at $349.

Sitting on the end of the handgun line-up was a Smith & Wesson Model 64-3 for $279. This revolver is a stainless version of the venerable S&W Model 10. This one had a heavy pinned barrel, making it a pre-1982 gun. It also had Goodyear grips installed, but was in great shape otherwise. Had it been a blued gun, I might have bought it, but the stainless guns do not hold the same allure for me. I have a couple of them, a Model 67 and a Model 66, and strangely enough, I just could not justify adding another. I held on to my money.

Kenny had a few other pistols on the shelf, including a Sig 239 priced at $399. It seems the pawn shop handgun selection and variations is down from the past couple of years. It has been that way most of this year. I suspect it is because the migration from New Orleans after Katrina has ceased, and those who moved away are now stabilized economically.



Anonymous pignock said...

You didn't list the model 64-3 price - just curious. You take really good photos. Next time your "shooting" (HA HA) a pinned and recessed S&W, could you take a closeup of the pin and recesses. Once again, just curious.



6:58 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Thanks for noting my oversight Keith. It's corrected.

A close-up of a pinned and recessed gun can be found here.

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links to this post:

Create a Link