A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Thoughts On Blogging

It's Sunday morning, and as I sip my coffee, I am perusing the blogosphere, catching up with blogger acquaintances and friends. I don't get to do that to often, and as I scan and read, I have a few thoughts........

I like to read blog articles that are short, sweet, and to the point. If I wanted to read a manifesto on a subject, I would buy the book, and curl up under a quilt in bed, not sit at a computer desk. I'm not reading for study, but rather for entertainment here. My wife, child and dogs frequently interrupt me at my desk with their own needs. The attention span I can give is by it's very nature......short.

I'm attracted by visual imagery. I like pictures, but I want to read a bit too. I want the content to be of substance, not simply narcissistic ramblings. I get enough of that at work. I want pages to load fast, not be filled with a bunch of personal ads and other nonsense.

I don't like to leave the blog I'm reading to go find more information. I appreciate links to more info, but I'm looking for information, not directions. I want to know what is going on. If I wanted to go to Drudge or MSN to get the gist of the story, I'd Google it up and go. A blog of nothing but posted links fails to hold my interest.

I like to know what I'm going to get when I go to a blog. I like the blog to have a theme such as guns or medicine, and pretty much stick to it. If it doesn't, labels or other categorizing links are much appreciated. I've been told that a blog is a public journal. I suppose that is true. I use mine to keep up with my life, my animals, my fish tanks, and to elaborate on thoughts and preserve what I have written about online. I consider my blog content to be approximately 70% guns/defense, 10% nursing, 10% family and pets and perhaps 10% other curious stuff that intrigues me. Oh, and 1% narcissistic rambling such as this.....

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The Houston Kid said...

I have been reading your site for about two years now. I don't remember how I found it, but the important thing is that I want to tell you ( as others probably have) that I enjoy your thoughts and I admire your diligence in submitting them. I haven't agreed with 100% of what you've said, but as Patton said "if everyone is thinking the same thing, then someone's not thinking". Besides, I don't agree with myself all of the time, either. Anyway, keep up the good work, and God bless you for your profession and for sharing your thoughts with the rest of us.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read your blog today for the first time. I became acquainted with who you are through a site for 1911 enthusiasts. I am a long time gun collector, shooter, and afficionado. I have a Colt Officers Model .45acp and I wanted to beef up the recoil system. Someone answered my request with a link to your site that has a story on just such a mod. I was asked today for a picture of that modification and I acknowledged your work and put a link to a picture on your site.
Good job, great writing..I have had a lot of 'hospital time' myself (In 1999 I was the sixteenth recipient of an adult living liver transplant). Thanks for the work you do and your OACP was an inspiration to me. My Colt operates just fine and uses the same basic components (minus the BTGS..did not want to modify the frame).
Just thought I would mention this to you in case you run into a picture of one of your pistols and wondered where it came from.
-watchin-

4:05 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

You know, I brazenly admit that so much of my blog is self-indulgent pap, but I do try to make it enjoyable for the reader, even though I'm blogging for the purpose of navel-gazing. I don't like simply regurgitating the news of the day unless I can add a pithy little naff of snark to it. I worry that I post too much YouTube, but then again, I only post things I find incredibly compelling. OTOH, I have known so many bloggers who slip into a laundry list of their days' activities, and I wonder how they can imagine it's exciting to read about the same thing over and over.

Your blog is well-written and engaging, no matter the topic.

Oh, and that nursing pin was beautiful - I can see how someone would obsess and collect a thing like that which is lovely in form and even more beautiful in symbology. (is that a word? I think I'm allowed to make up words at 1:23 am? Hope so!)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

my local news from http://www.claytoncramer.com/gundefenseblog/blogger.htmlSunday, September 30, 2007

McKeesport, Pennsylvania

From the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette of September 30, 2007

Intruders shot, one fatally, in McKeesport

Two suspected robbers were shot, one of them fatally, during an apparent home invasion on Grover Street in McKeesport last night, police said.

Police were called at 10:10 p.m. to a home in the 2900 block of Grover, where a resident resisted an apparent robbery.

One suspect was killed, and the other was hospitalized with at least one gunshot wound, police said.

The extent of his injuries was not immediately known.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home