A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ker-Chunk!


Houston TX. October 11, 2007
Nathaniel Brooks stole a line from an old Western movie to capture a pair of burglars. A Fort Bend County homeowner fought back when he found burglars in his home. “You know there's something about when you hear a pump shotgun click,” said Nathaniel Brooks. “It makes everybody think twice.”

And the two burglars did think twice. “You are trying to steal something out of my garage,” Brooks recalled telling the robbers. “You in my garage so you have no rights now. This is my house.”

He saw them through his back door rummaging through his garage. “And I walked out of the house and I went around and confronted those guys on the side of the house,” he said. “So, I aimed at him and said, ‘You sneeze, you're dead man.’ And I called the other guy out of the garage. "I watch a lot of movies it sounded like a good thing to say. It got his attention."

Brooks held them at attention until deputies got there two minutes later. “I feel like I reacted like every homeowner should react,” said Brooks.

Deputies have praised Nathaniel for what he did, said he is well within his rights to do what he did. But they also say he helped them catch someone who has done this many, many times before. The suspects are Brian Bostic and Richard Holly. Deputies say this isn't Bostic's first time to be arrested for a break in.

Meanwhile, Brooks has the praise of his neighbors. "I think it's fabulous I wish more people would do it,” said neighbor Charlotte Priest. "I don't blame him. I'd do the same thing myself."

Even Brooks own wife said in 20 years of marriage she had never heard this tough talking guy before. "And I have never seen that side of him. It’s like I'm a newlywed now,” said Vanessa Brooks.

Yes, life is good again on Cinco Park Place where burglars are reminded to listen, and think twice. “Don't go to my house. I wouldn't come to my house if I were you,” said Brooks



There are a lot of people who subscribe to the idea of the ominous sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round as an attention getter. I happen to be one of them.

True, the chambering of a round gives your position away as it announces your presence. That is the idea, however. It announces your armed presence. I keep my home defense shotguns in "cruiser ready" condition. That means a full magazine, chamber empty, and safety off. In this condition, my Mossbergs operate exactly like my Winchesters. That is important to me. I must chamber a round prior to armed intervention, and the possibility of confusing the operation of the different makes of firearms is eliminated.

I have learned a bit about myself through armed conflict. I may not necessarily realize which shotgun I am holding. I want them to operate the same, so that I train one way, the way I will fight. My focus on the intruder takes precedence over my recognition of the brand of shotgun I hold. More importantly, I have learned at that time of immense adrenaline dump, when the knees are weak and fine motor movements lacking, the mind rushes ahead, and people fumble otherwise simple tasks. The reassuring gross motor movement of a 12 gauge chambering a round can be sobering for the miscreant offender in my presence, as well as for myself.

Furthermore, I know from past experience that my mouth will go dry. Speech will be difficult. I may emit a raspy growl if anything at all. The sound of 00 buckshot chambering in my shotgun is the indisputable warning I give. Nathaniel Brooks was able to say a few words, but the adrenaline rush of armed conflict affects people differently. A rational person wants to avoid taking a life, even while protecting their own. If the clacking of a pump shotgun preparing for conflict can bring about a halt to the criminal's activities, I will take that route. If the "indisputable warning" fails to bring a halt to the activities, or if it escalates the encounter, I am prepared to respond with force.

Others may hold a differing opinion..........

Good catch Mr. Brooks. I would be proud to have you as a neighbor!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Fixit said...

He gets the praise of his friends.
He captured bad guys, and his wife "feels like a newlywed".

It's good to be a man.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had a friend who was a deputy in the early '70s. Covered a bad town on his rounds. One of the handguns he carried was a .44 AutoMag. He said racking the slide on it always got the "persons of interest" to come out of hiding in the many back alleys of that town.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home