A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Pawn Shop Circuit: Neil's Wares

After work today, I swung into Neil's pawn shop to scope out his wares. Neil had a Taurus revolver of some sort, with a long vent ribbed barrel. Not interested. The rest of Neil's handguns consisted of a HK USPc for $549, a Taurus PT145 for $289, a PT24/7 for $299, a fullsized Glock something or another for $389, and finally, a Browning Hi Power for $399.

The Hi Power was blued, 9mm with rubber grips, and it was in pretty good shape. I started to ask to see it, but I did not for a couple of reasons.......The slide read "Made In Belgium, Assembled In Portugal". I wasn't sure what that meant. Also, the price seemed a bit high for me. Even though I had $780 cash in my pocket, I had sent off a $400 electricity remittance this AM, and I wasn't ready to drop another four hundred on a gun that wasn't a Smith or Colt. Sorry Neil, no cigar. Neil and I chatted for several minutes and I left to take care of other business.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger AnarchAngel said...

That price was actually between $50 and $100 low (depending on which sight, finish, and grips were on the gun).

Made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal means exactly that. The parts are manufactured in Belgium, and then assembled into a final firearm in Portugal. Almost all BHPs have been assembled in Portugal for some years now.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The most recent generation of Hi-Powers are "Made in Belgium, Assembled in Portugal." The quality remains the same, and they also have the updated cast frame that is more durable.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi-Powers have been made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal for a long time now, maybe the last 30 years or so. $399 for a clean HP is a great deal.

12:10 AM  
Blogger freddyboomboom said...

On the "Made In Belgium, Assembled In Portugal" part...

For several years FN made all the parts in Belgium, then shipped them to Portugal for assembly and fitting.

I had one of that era several years ago, and it was a sweet machine after I reversed the previous owner's unsafe trigger job.

I'm still kicking myself for selling it...

This place seems to be the best location for good info about them. I'll have to do some more Googling later...

2:16 AM  
Blogger The Duck said...

Where is this pawn shop?
Around here they would been asking $500 & up

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home