A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pawn Shop Circuit: Remington

I went by Neil's pawn shop this afternoon to check out his ordnance stock. There was nothing that interested me......He had a Taurus Raging Bull of some sort (I didn't even check the price), A HK USPc for $549, and a couple of S&W semi-automatic handguns. Neil also had an array of muzzle loader rifles and a few shotguns. It was disappointing to say the least. We talked a bit, and I ambled over to take a look at the tools. Standing in the corner was something I had thought about buying new. It was an electric pole saw.

A few years back, I was having a tree service cut a live oak in the back yard. Huge limbs were overhanging the roof, and after the last ice storm, i did not want to take any chances. It was my intent to be rid of the thing and grow grass. My wife, teary eyed and distraught convinced me to transform the old oak into a poodle tree. Over the past few years, limbs have been creeping ever closer to my roof again.

Realizing my folly in letting my wife keep the tree, but being unwilling to hire out a tree service again, i started shopping for something to keep the monster trimmed back annually. Here, in Neil's corner stood the answer for $49. To top it off, it was a Remington pole saw.

It looked to be pretty decent for the money, and Neil offered me his standard "If ya don't like it, bring it back" guarantee. Good enough for me. Fifty bucks later, I was loading it in the back of the Cherokee. Now, if I only have time to fire it up and try it out this weekend..........

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cut a little notch on the bottom before you cut from the top. Not that I have any first hand knowledge about sticking a Stihl gas pole saw up in a tree two days after a Carolina ice storm....no siree

8:57 AM  
Blogger Sterno said...

I've always wanted one of those chainsaws-on-a-pole doodads, but I can never seem to come up with a reason to own one that wouldn't get me in trouble.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Mulliga said...

My Mom uses one of those electric pole saws to trim the palm trees in our backyard. The battery-operated ones seem to be a bit unwieldy, but they cut fine as long as you maintain them. Happy trimming.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Less said...

Man, some folks have all the luck!

First, you find S&W wheelguns and
now you find just what I need!

I've got this massive maple that
has a huge limb growing over the
front of my house. I need to find
a pole saw so that I can cut
sections off the limb and then
take out the rest of the tree.
My big fear is that during our
windy and icy winters it'll come
down on the front of my house!

I've got 6 smaller black walnut
trees that'd make great cord wood
but my old-ass chain saw just shit
the bed on me...

Gotta move fast before winter sets
in here!

Sigh...

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home