A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, October 26, 2007

Tank Additions

To Reef Tank:
Niger Trigger (Odonus Niger)

The Niger is one of the least aggressive triggerfishes, with beautiful wing-like dorsal and anal fins. Niger Trigger (Odonus Niger)It's profile is that of a shovel, and it's texture appears as though it's armored with rivets on it's scales. Their eyes move independently, and they grunt when excited, moving about the aquarium spitting small stones at other fish. To sleep, triggerfish lock themselves into empty barnacles and holes, using the first spines on their dorsal and anal fins.

Triggerfish are some of my favorite fish. They are naturally aggressive, and will quickly devastate a coral tank. It is precarious to keep more than one triggerfish in the same aquarium. Most cannot be kept with crustaceans, but I am hoping the Niger will leave my Coral Banded Shrimp alone. The aggressive nature of triggerfish, and my affinity for them is one of the primary reasons I maintain more than one saltwater aquarium.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

that triggerfish is gorgeous. I understand the appeal.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home