A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, November 16, 2007

The Cell Phone

I've been using the same old cell phone for the past five years or so. It was a beat up silver flip phone that had escaped my pocket in search of pavement numerous times as I exited my car. It steadfastly refused to give up the ghost and I reveled in the luxury of not being able to pay a thief to take the ugly device. I usually kept the ringer turned off unless I was awaiting a return call.

A couple of days ago my dear wife-mate presented me with a new cellphone.....Seems her contract was up for renewal, and she wanted a more debonair device to make noise in my pocket. A Motorola V365 it is.....constructed so tough that even the Samsonite gorilla would wail over it's inextirpable good looks. I hesitantly swapped in my SIM card and lit that puppy up. The personal phone numbers of over 100 physicians and surgeons were vaporized, along with the numbers of an equal number of friends. Crap. So, that's where Xavier has been.....I have spent the last two days retrieving the numbers and trying to force this monster into submission.

One advantage is the Motorola has a camera. Perhaps that can assist me with getting photos for the blog if I can figure out how to get the dammed telephone to puke them up into the computer. The silly thing has mobile email and text messaging.....Like I'm going to use that. I have no idea what they are for. The ideal cellphone for me would have no incoming calls and a rotary dial. Today the damned thing emitted that irritating series of electronic tones while I was scrubbed in. Sherry the Circulator dug under my gown, fished it out of my pocket and held it to my waiting cheek. Some customer service rep wanted to know if I was pleased with my new phone and service. I related my displeasure at having to respond when I was up to my wrists in bloody skeeter stats, and I banished the thing outside to my labcoat.

Tonight when I got home, Little Darling showed me how to turn it off, and she put her picture in it for me. I'm starting to like it better already.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger the pistolero said...

I send my cell phone photos via email from the phone and download them onto the computer that way. It works pretty well, although the quality of the photos leaves a bit to be desired.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Laughingdog said...

I used to feel the same way about text messaging. Now, I've come to realize how useful it can be. In the past, something simple like "I'll be home at 6" would end up taking a couple of minutes after I was done waiting through voice mail. Then, my wife would spend more time getting to that voice mail than the actual message took.

With text messaging, that message takes me far less time to send, and far less time for my wife to see it. In addition, I can tell her that I'll be stuck late in a meeting from the meeting, without disrupting anything. The T9word stuff makes it incredibly easy, once you learn how to use the 0 (zero) button to cycle through words if the default choice doesn't come up the first try.

9:45 AM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

http://tinyurl.com/2htjac
low tech gone HORRIBLY wrong
MAYBE THESE GUYS COULD FIX YOUR PHONE
Allahu Akbar!

5:00 PM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

I want a phone like a GI 1911 w/
48 parts instead of a glock
I hope you take no insult but...have you looked at jitterbug?
it just makes calls.
http://tinyurl.com/yvcdyx
147 bucks and prepaid service.
I too hate the "features" of cell phones. I have a nokia 1100 which has a flashlite. best feature ever.

4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home