A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

What Is Xavier Reading?

I finally received my copy of The Great New Orleans Gun Grab-Descent Into Anarchy by Gordon Hutchinson and Todd Masson a few days back. I say long awaited, not because the book took a long time to arrive, but because in September 2005 I knew this book would be written. My copy actually arrived within days of being ordered from Louisiana Publishing.

It is odd that many gun owners still refuse to believe the reality of the US Constitution being raped on the streets of New Orleans and the surrounding areas in the days after hurricane Katrina. If you have a gun owner friend in denial, this book is a most illuminating Christmas gift. Many gun owners say "It could never happen here." Guess what.......It did. This book dispels a lot of the Rambo vote from the rooftops chest beating, and places the reader directly into the reality of confiscations.

Last night, I pored through the introduction and first chapter before I had to put the book down to get some much needed sleep. I was not at all surprised to find the first chapter to be Ashton O'Dwyer's tale of survival. Ashton lives in one of the antebellum mansions on St. Charles Street. He spoke for thousands when he went on national television and said "Treat me with benign neglect! Get out of my neighborhood, get out of my life, get out of my ******* city!" Ashton was living a resolute existence of survival at the time. To help preserve his sanity, with black humor, he proclaimed his property sovereign, the territory of the Duchy of Kilnamanagh, seceding from the United States as Peter Sellers had in "The Mouse that Roared". On the fateful morning of September 19, 2005, Ashton O'Dwyer drove to Baton Rouge to file the first Katrina related class action lawsuit against Governor Kathleen Blanco, Mayor Ray Nagin, and New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass. Then he drove back to his home on St. Charles Street.

The wild proclamations from his driveway made Ashton the media darling of the hurricane. The lawsuit brought him the attention of those in power. Most people who saw Ashton O'Dwyer broadcast around the world on CNN never knew what happened next.....Until now. Ashton O'Dwyer was taken into custody, caged like a dog, pepper sprayed, and shotgunned multiple times in the groin with beanbag rounds.

Obstinate and unswayed, Mr. O'Dwyer remained in New Orleans. Today he represents other confiscation and eviction victims. Tonight, I move on to the next chapter, the next victim.......

"The Great New Orleans Gun Grab - Descent Into Anarchy" by Gordon Hutchinson & Todd Masson is available from Louisiana Publishing, The Louisiana Conservative or Amazon.com for $19.95

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you Xavier lol you just made me add two items to my (already pricey) christmas list :P But it sounds like a very good read i might go order it off amazon now...I wonder what fiasco would have happened if a group of armed citizens refused to disperse and give up their weapons Lexington style in the days of our country's founding.......

10:00 PM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

Must resist ordering more...

5:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really? I did NOT know that. Sounds like he's got good reason to vote from the rooftops, and the good sense not to. I'll have to get that book.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xav,
Thanks for the review. I will be ordering a copy in the near future.

I'm surprised at how few comments your post has provoked.

Having spent the first half of my alotted three score and ten in Britain, I know of plenty fellow shooters who have had their legitimately held (individually licenced) guns taken from them for the flimsiest of reasons.

The most recent is one of my father's farming neighbours a few weeks back.

The guy is about 70 years old, and had fallen through a shed roof, sustaining broken ribs, collar bone etc. he had spent quite some time in hospital, but when allowed to go home, the local police showed up to take his guns away.

Seemingly they think his guns are the only way that he would take his own life, if he was inclined that way.

Strangely they did not remove all ropesand beams he might use, or any engines thats exhaust he coul think of sniffing, agricultural chemicals like organo-phosphorus sheep dip...... the list goes on.

But "saving life" probably wasn't their first motivation anyway...

The book comes as a timely reminder that some will use any pretext to rob you of your right to self defence and treat you like a punch bag in the process.

every step along the way is described as "reasonable" but the sum of those little steps is total evil.

I hope the book wakes a few more up to their need for constant vigilance and activity to defend their birth right.

Thanks for sharing it with us
Keith

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always wondered what happened to ODwyer. I ordered my copy today.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier...
Thanks so much for the positive review of the book. I got a kick out of your comment you knew the book would be written in September, 2005.
Like most folks, I had no idea what was happening to our civil liberties and 2nd Amendment rights in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Of course, the national media didn't report about gun confiscations, because the national media wasn't outraged by the actions of the police.

I didn't know we were going to write a book until April 18, 2006, when I covered an NRA "Town Hall" meeting in New Orleans for Louisiana Sportsman magazine. At that meeting, survivors of Katrina stepped up to microphones absolutely seething with rage at the police and governmental authorities that harassed, abused, threatened, and beat them because they stayed behind to protect their property. These folks told tales of being more afraid of the cops than the thugs and looters, and the cops took their guns, leaving them defenseless in the face of anarchy.
I knew that night it was a book we would have to write--it took over a year-and-a-half of hard work, chasing down leads, and spending interminable numbers of weekends in New Orleans conducting interviews with victims of theft by armed police. But we think the effort was worth it. And we thank you for so effectively helping us get the message out that for the first time in the history of the U.S. an entire municipality made a determined and organized effort to physically disarm its populace. Only by getting this story out can we insure such will never occur again.
Thanks.

Gordon Hutchinson, Co-Author
The Great New Orleans Gun Grab

10:08 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

You're welcome Gordon......

I figured if nobody else took on the task of writing this book, I might try myself. It would have been a daunting task. You did a much better job than I ever could have.

Thank you for writing it. Gunowners, the NRA, and the free people of the United States owe you a debt of gratitude. I only hope the book gets widely distributed.

I have passed on a copy for my daughter who is at LSU law school, as well as a few of her friends. I hope that this book will help them more fully appreciate and understand the 2nd amendment.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Mary Brigid said...

Thanks, Xavier, for the review. Definitely going to order one for me, and one for each of my head-in-the-sand, they'll-never-take-your-guns-mom older children.

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished reading mine 2 days ago, and for those not so interested in the gun grab aspect, it is equally as much about the anarchy that existed during that time. The title and subtitle are very descriptive.

It is also about the governmental (local, state, and federal) continuing silence regarding much of what happened. Complaints filed and still no response...

There are two people in line for my copy and it has spurred my purchase intent for additional SHTF items.

An excellent purchase.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I expected to believe that Mr. O'Dwyer was arrested, tortured, and mistreated because he filed a class action lawsuit? Like he was some kind of 'troublemaker' in China?

As hard as that is to believe, I think I would just rather NOT read the book because it would just make me sick. I'll take the actions of the JBT's, corrupt government to augment my already healthy and existing contempt for such agencies.

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the previous poster.
Mr. O'Dwyer had that stuff happen to him while they were taking his guns, not because of the lawsuit.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home