A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Board Tracker

During the Summer of this year I located an old 1920's Elgin bicycle frame. It was structurally solid and was encased in multiple layers of enamel, laquer and dried grease and oil. Click to enlargeIt was, however, basically complete, with the original seat, seat post, skip tooth chainwheel, forks, gooseneck and handlebars.

In the days when this bicycle was new, boardtrack racing was the coliseum sport of America. Even though automobiles puttered about town at 35 MPH, on the outskirts of towns were high banked oval tracks made of two by fours. On these oil soaked boards primitive motorcycles raced at speeds over 100 MPH.........With no brakes.

Today I combined spare parts in the garage with the ancient Elgin frame to make a bicycle. I only have to order up a few minor parts now, but I rode the bike for the first time. I'm not certain which direction this project will take, but the old boardtrack motorcycles are inspiring me. The Elgin bicycle will be reminescent of those machines.


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Travlin said...

Amazing. I'd never heard of this. Sounds more dangerous than barn-storming with airplanes.

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what your thinking! You as a nurse, witness to countless trauma, should not be considering what I bet your considering! But it would be cool to joy ride on one of those old rigs!
The injuries from the inevitable crashes during those races must have been copounded by the 2x4 track. I hate splinters from splitting firewood, never mind track rash!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Grandfather, my Mom's Dad, raced on skates in winter and on bikes the rest of the year. There was a velodrome [sp?] in or near Newark, NJ, that was wood. His most visible injuries were the cinders under the skin of his kees and shins from some of the other tracks they raced on. Anyone have any sources? OldeForce

9:36 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

omg - no brakes? Dare-devils, indeed!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home