A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, December 06, 2007

Springfield V-16 Long Slide Review

The Springfield V-16 Long Slide. It's an awesome concept in pistols. When I first saw a photo of one, I wanted one for myself. With a six inch ported barrel and a corresponding slide, it is a unique target pistol. Unported Long SlideThe combination of weight forward of the hand, porting, and a longer sight radius supposedly combine to make a production pistol like few others. Thus, when I saw a used Long Slide on a dealer's shelf, I had to take a look.

It was an older example, stainless steel with plain checkered grips. It had a single sided extended thumb safety. As far as I was concerned, those were positive aspects. It also had a full length guide rod, and I'm guessing it was a two piece. The guide rod had a slot in the front, not a hex. There was no internal locking system on the gun. I was rather tired from shooting my own 1911s, and the dealer informed me Long Slide pistol shot low. I decided to purchase a bit of Fiocchi ammunition and take it for a ride. Unfortunately, I only had a cell phone camera.

I first endeavored to dial in the rear sight of the pistol. I quickly had the Long slide hitting just a little left of where I wanted. The trigger was a bit gritty with a hint of creep, but nothing that would not clean up nicely. Poor quality cell phone photoThe whole idea behind the V-16 Long Slide was to create a pistol with no muzzle flip, able to tweak the last bit of velocity out of a .45 ACP round or shoot .45 Super. The concept would have been great for a bowling pin gun.

I did not find the V-16 Long Slide to be any more or less controllable than my Government Model 1911s with an Ed Brown grip safety. I like the Ed Brown grip safety because it gets the web of my hand up higher behind the bore axis. The Springfield gun, with a lower cut beavertail, accomplishes the same task with a longer slide and porting.

The pistol was accurate. I fired five round strings in rapid succession into index cards. The pistol performed flawlessly, with no malfunctions. I ran 100 rounds through the behemothic pistol. I would have preferred a dovetailed fiber optic front sight. I'm not certain, but I think Springfield offered that on later Long Slide guns. The V-16 Long Slide was an interesting firearm, and I might have taken it home, except the dealer wanted $799 for this older pre-owned example. That was a bit much for me.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think a useful variation would be an aluminum frame with an officers grip length. The grip is the problem in concealment in most carry positions/holsters. With my aging eyes, I need that front sight way out there!

1:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another consideration for me is the added velocity over the Officers 3.5" barrel.

4:11 AM  
Blogger dropdownstairs said...

Hey thanks for the write up
I would like to see a clark Long slide. Thinking of visiting Clark's in May when in N.O. w/ habitat.
Is it worth the time?
Do you have any advice on CC w/ Pa CCL? Thanks

6:07 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

All I can say is know the law. The one oddball restriction is carrying in a parade. Parades tend to break out frequently in Nawlins.

Clarks might be worth the visit if you are a die hard fanatic, but Jimmy doesn't keep much of his own guns on display. Usually he has a lot of trade-ins and guns bought from police confiscations. Clark guns are true bespoke custom guns, built one at a time. Once they are built, they are tested and shipped to the person who ordered them. The place is hidden up in the woods outside of Shreveport/Bossier, in Princeton LA, about 300 miles north of NOLA. Whether it is worth the drive is debateable. If you are passing through anyway, certainly, stop by. Jimmy will talk your ear off, and he is a true gentleman. If you are lucky, Jerry might be in town and at the range.

Another place worthy of a visit is Kay Clark-Miculek's place, Clark Safes and Security or something like that. Jimmy will give you directions. Kay's place is in Bossier, about seven miles from Clark Custom. They have a wide variety of firearms, as well as many of Kay and Jerry's international and national trophys on display. The coolest is a handmade trophy from Africa, I think Tanzania.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine is a fine shooter and has taken a hog or two over the years.
Was the one you shot stamped; 45 SUPER, on the left side? Mine doesn't digest lighter ACP fodder without a hicup now and then. I do agree on the accuracy of the pistol though.
Micheal

6:42 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I don't really recall the rollmark Michael, but I think it simply said 45 ACP.

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home