Lessons From Miami
"You just pull a trigger and 20 or 30 rounds come in a second and in those 20 rounds you're sure to hit your intended target and some innocent bystanders, totally unlike a firearm that is just one bullet every time you pull the trigger," Miami Police spokesman Willie Moreno said in regard to "assault weapons."
1. Wow! What's that rate of fire again? 1200 to 1800 rounds a minute? Fact=M-16 rate of fire: 800-900 rounds/minute. AK-47 rate of fire: 600 rounds/minute. HK MP5 rate of fire: 800-900 rounds/minute. The God forsaken Uzi rate of fire: 600 rounds/minute. I wonder which "assault weapon" Moreno is talking about here, but I'll play along. Perhaps the officer did not do very well in third grade mathematics. Let's assume that a criminal does possess a crime dispensing evil assault gun with a 1200 round/minute cyclic rate, and proceed to 2.
2. Weapons with empty magazines don't shoot very well. Some folks refer to them as clubs. Here's a quick tactic for officers facing a criminal blazing away with a dreaded 1200 round/minute "assault weapon." Take cover ! Then shoot the son of a bitch when he is reloading. It won't take long.
3. You are not sure to hit your "intended target" nor are you sure to hit innocent bystanders. Saying such a thing is indicative of a police officer's need for a bit of trigger time. This ranks right up there with laser guided bullets and heat seeking ammunition.
4. Now here's the goocher......Assuming that in our universe there was such a thing as an "assault weapon" with a 1200-1800 rate of fire and a never ending magazine like the firearm Miami Police spokesman Willie Moreno is referring to, it would, by definition, be a fully automatic rifle. These particular firearms are tightly regulated, and the use of such weapons in violent crimes is about as common as turtle teeth. It's been 30 years since police spokesmen began parroting off the Brady bunch drivel. When are police spokesmen going to understand the difference between a full auto "machine gun" and a semi-automatic rifle before they open their mouths and expose their ignorance?
5. Tyler Peterson. Oh, wait.......That's not fair........The problem is the criminal, not the inanimate object he uses. Guns do not copulate and give birth to baby guns. They do not breed. They do not "proliferate." Guns not responsible for the increase in homicides, or violent crime. Criminals are.
It's time police spokesmen start to focus on the criminals that cause crime, rather than trying to prop up smoke and mirror deceptions that obscure the real problem.