A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 24, 2008

ND


"When the gun went bang, it surprised the heck out of me, of course. It took about a half a second to realize what happened. The sound didn't seem as loud as I remember when I shot without hearing protection at the range. I chalk that up to the fact that the gun was down away from my face.

Then I realized that I was bleeding. I honestly don't remember if it was pain or the wetness of the blood. This all took maybe two seconds. I stood up and saw the blood all over my jeans and hollered upstairs for my wife to call an ambulance. I pulled my jeans off to see what was going on - I had a pair of longjohns on under them.There was a bag of rags and old towels laying there and I grabbed a handtowel which barely reached around my leg, so I grabbed the ends and twisted them. Then I walked/crawled up the stairs and laid down up there on my back and propped my leg up on a bucket. I noticed the pain by then and was afraid I was going to pass out - I had a cold sweat on my forehead and felt kinda woozy.By the time the medics got there, the bleeding had pretty much stopped. My leg hurt SOOOOOOO bad. They wouldn't give me any pain meds - I had to wait on the ER doc. 4 doses of morphine before it calmed down. I'm going to my family doc today and plan on getting my hands on my XRays.

All the ER did was wash the blood off of my leg, took an X Ray, listened to the pulse and checked what was still numb. Gave me a tetanus shot, a sript for antibiotics and Lortabs. Wrapped it up with pressure bandages and sent me home."
No, it wasn't me. It was someone who was experienced with firearms though. More here.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

oh, sheeeeeeeut!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Reno Sepulveda said...

Dude shoots himself and then wants to pontificate on gun safety. I've had a negligent discharge too but strict observance of rule number two kept damage to a minimum.

I'm kind of suprised at how little damage that 230 grain Hydra- Shoc inflicted. He'll be back stuffing mailboxes in no time at all.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch.

It only takes one mistake. I agree with the term Negligent instead of accidental. I know a lot of people are against magazine disconnect safeties in semi-autos, but this kinda makes the case for them. The 4 rules have to be followed every time, but it is easy to forget them or take shortcuts.

3:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That happens when you play with guns.

8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X:

I especially love the first sentence: "I had a negligent discharge..." The shooter/shootee needs to call it like this: "I shot myself!"

Regardless, I'm glad you posted it; I think it's good for all serious pistoleros (Sir Cooper's term) to read these stories and see the pics from time to time.

One more thing: does everyone have a first aid kit in his/her gun room or reloading area? I certainly will by this weekend!

Mike Harbour
Helena, Montana

8:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't worry, Kemo Sabe, it was only a flesh wound."

9:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a nursing student, but I gotta ask. Why the Tetanus shot? When the bullet made entry, it should have been SO hot that there shouldn't any chance of bacterial infection surviving from the heat. Again, just wondering, I could be wrong.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon - From what I have read, it seems that clothing and dirt on the skin can be driven deep into the wound by the bullet. A tetanus shot would make sense in that case.

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home