A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: Gun Economics

After work today, I drove over to Kenny's pawn shop to see what was available. A grin crossed Kenny's face as I entered the shop, and he met me at the gun counter. Under his glass, Kenny had a couple of plastic pistols, but also a Beretta 92FS. The 92FS is a pistol that has not increased in price in the market. Back in 1991, when I purchased mine, they sold for about $550 new. They were the hot ticket item twenty years ago. Gun owners were facing the unknown realities of the Clinton Assault Weapon Ban, and the market for full capacity semi-automatic pistols was nuts with angst and trepidation. The Beretta 92FS still sells for about $550 new, but today there are also many used examples on the market for about $350 each.

Kenny's Beretta wore aftermarket Hogue grips with finger grooves, a definite minus for me. It was in good shape, it was early enough to have the metal trigger, safety, and guide rod. the action worked as slick as any Beretta, like oiled glass. Kenny did not have the box or the original grips. I saw he had it priced at $349. If I did not still have the Beretta 92FS that I purchased right after Lethal Weapon for $560, I might buy this one. Instead, I take my lesson on the realities of gun economics.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a beaut. I was fortunate to find a Beretta 85 with case and two mags. I had to have a matching set. So I bought a Beretta 96FS Italian Made with box and two mags (for $500). Now, I want a Beretta 90-two and Beretta 92FS and I'll be set.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the stock market is crashing. how will that effect guns?

7:18 PM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

Quinton:

Guns will get you through a time of no money better than money will get you through a time of no guns.

Just ask the Jews of Warsaw. Or any of the other 6 million disarmed Jews. Not all of them had money but almost none of them had guns.

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Xav.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm always surprised that both the CZ-75 and Beretta 92 are priced the same or even undercut their plastic-fantastic competition, despite the fact that they are much more complex to manufacture.

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Beretta 92 does everything quite competently. It is reliable. It shoots straight. But it is not remarkable in any other way. Its main virtue is beauty, then reliability, then being in some cool action flicks. Go watch Die Hard or Lethal Weapon if you need a 92 fix.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Jack Gordon said...

My dedicated car gun is a Beretta 92FS. It’s like a Cadillac – big and comfortable, but given its price, size, and capabilities, if I had to do over again, I wouldn’t buy it.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I carried a Combat Masterpiece on duty for 25 years. At that point, the department switched to the 92FS and I had no joy until I found I could shoot it far more accurately than the CM. Darn thing (the 92) was as reliable as a fork.

I retired five years later. The 92's were still too new and the county wouldn't let us buy our issue sidearm at retirement.

Been looking for a nice 92FS at a take-me-home price for 14 years. Did get a very nice 85 FS at a good price and like it a lot, even for a 380. Seems reliable so far. Much prettier than my favs for carry: S&W's 3913, and 66

The 3913 will eat and chew anything. Every time. Its just not artsy as the 85 and 92.

Skippy: I agree. An 86FS is a must have match for the 85. Lets see...22, 380, 9mm, 38/357...Hummm, may have to look for a beater 45 to try some of Xav's terrific suggestions.

Best to all.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier...
Is that pick "mine" of your 92FS? And it was purchased in 91?
You must of had it refinished as it looks NIB. Or it's a safe Queen?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Anon,
It has been kept in the box much of that time. I carried it for a short while in an ill advised shoulder holster, and then went to a pistol and carry mode more conducive to carry as I wised up. The 92FS was placed in it's box and stored. I keep it because it was my present to myself for being a civilian again.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home