A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Stainless K Frames

Because of my affinity for the blue and nickel Smith & Wesson, many people are quite surprised to discover a few stainless revolvers in my cache. It is true, I do own some. Click to enlargeStainless is a quite durable finish material, and these are my working guns. Pictured at the top is a Model 66-2. As a .357 magnum revolver, it packs a whallop as well as the ability to resist wet dirty and abrasive conditions. It is often a back up car gun. It wears a rubber Hogue Monogrip.

Below it is a Model 67-1. Astute readers will quickly wonder why this stainless revolver has a case hardened action. When I purchased it for $179, it had a corroded hammer. I tried bobbing the hammer, but that just did not suit me. Finally, I swapped out the hammer and trigger for case hardened target units. I completed the revolver with a nylon Hogue Monogrip. It, too, is a revolver that can take a licking and keep on shooting.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Yuri Orlov said...

Would you mind answering some questions I have about a S&W I saw in a pawn shop. I couldn't find your email, but you can write me here: therealgunguy [at] gmail.com

8:28 PM  
Blogger Rabbit said...

I saw a nice 4 inch 66 no dash at a shop several months ago. Nothing like the deals you run across, but I really was tempted, and probably shoulda. IIRC, they had $350 on it. Had some scuffs on it, but mechanically it passed muster.

Regards,
Rabbit.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a beautiful old S&W .32 Hand Ejector from the 1920's which my father later had chromed or nickeled in the late 1930's.

I say chrome or nickel because I don't know: it's silvery & shiny. Any idea how to tell the difference, or what they did in those days?

3:38 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Bob,
It's probably nickeled. Possibly factory. Do not use copper solvents on it. Nickel has a copper underlay, and the copper solvents will destroy it.

For lack of a better way of telling, Nickel has a "warm" appearance, while chrome is more "cold". It's kind of hard to describe, but recognizable when the two are side by side.

4:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home