A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The King's Bushing Wrench

It's not uncommon for even a skilled 1911 mechanic to have an embarrassing airborne moment when field stripping their version of Browning's masterpiece.........assuming, of course, the recoil control components are as John Moses intended.

One of the tools that can prevent you from looking all over your gun room for wayward projectiles is the King's bushing wrench. Made by King's Gun Works, this steel wrench is no ordinary bushing wrench. If you are tired searching for flying recoil plugs, or of plastic tools wearing down and slipping, this chunk of parkerized American steel is the tool for you. It used to be available from Brownell's, but alas, it has been discontinued. It has a protrusion on the side to keep the recoil plug under control. For what it's worth, genuine GI recoil plugs have a notch to catch the recoil spring on, preventing the search and rescue missions common with 1911 field stripping.

The King's bushing wrench is a superb tool for those with lesser recoil plugs though. I have yet to find a 1911 bushing to tight for it to turn. I have yet to have a recoil plug launch while using it. I have yet to have it mar a gun's finish. I do not know if King's still makes this tool, but if they don't, they should. Somebody should! If you see one for sale at a gun show or on ebay, grab it. It's a purchase you will not regret.

Update:
King's Gun Works does indeed still make this tool. It's right there in the King's catalog, page six. Bushing wrench item # 403A, King's Deluxe Gunsmith Bushing Wrench. $14.95. Order yourself some extra stuff while you are at it and save on shipping. King's is a top drawer outfit.
Kings Gun Works Inc.
1837 W. Glenoaks Blvd.,
Glendale, CA., 91201
Phone: 818-956-6010
Orders: 800-282-9449

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger DarwinOSX said...

If you have a Les Baer this is the bushing wrench to have. Too bad Brownells doesn't carry it anymore. Thats where i got mine.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Abby said...

Okay, okay...ordering one now.... I DO love a new toy!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Jerry The Geek said...

Points to Ponder:
(1)the same bushing wrench which works for "normal" 1911's will probably not work for Colt Commanders and (at least) "older" Kimbers;
(2)Only wusses use bushing wrenches;
(3) I am not a wuss;
(4) I have lost countless plugs and recoil springs.

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the gunsmiths notch my plugs in all my 1911s, and I tend to prefer them loose enough for hands-only takedown. If you need a bench bushing wrench, though, that's the only one to have. I tote a wilson Combo Tool in my shooting bag, as it has just about every 1911 tool you need.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Actually Jerry, it works fine on Commanders. You must be thinking about the Officer's ACP. My old Kimber is bushingless, so I wouldn't know about that.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh. Should have had this before I totaled my LCD TV a year back...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home