A Nurse with a Gun

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: The Neos

After work today, I made a quick trip over to Kenny's pawn shop to see what was on the shelf. Kenny was turning a brisk business in jewelry, he had five men at his jewelry counter. I strolled over to the gun counter to see what was up for grabs. The handgun shelves were empty except for a Beretta Neos. Kenny also had a Winchester 1894on the shelves that looked like it might be an older one. I couldn't tell from across the counter. Kenny was tied up with the line of customers buying a last ditch present for their valentines.

I don't know to much about the Beretta Neos .22 pistol, except that it is of fairly recent manufacture, and it looks like a toy to me. Kenny had it priced at $179. That was attractive. I stared at it a bit through the glass. I thought about all the .22 handguns I already own. I never owned a Neos, and it was rather spacey looking in a Buck Rogers sort of way. A couple of Kenny's jewelry customers walked out, a couple more walked in and began browsing. I did not know how reliable or accurate the Neos might be, but I remember owners raving about them when they were new. Of course folks do that anyway when they buy the latest firearm. I did not know if the price was good, although, if it had been a Ruger MKII, I might have bought it.

I left Kenny's shop empty handed and went to get my valentine some roses and chocolate.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Handled a Neos once. I discovered that when holding the pistol, the safety gouged my thumb knuckle when in the ON position. While the grip was fairly comfortable, the safety thing makes it a range pistol only in my opinion.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Neos might look a bit Buck Rogers... but not so much as the Wolverine, so you've already got that precinct covered.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

I love my Neos, the current one is a 6". Much easier to clean than the Ruger, equal in accuracy by my hand and mounting a red dot is a no-brainer.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Nate said I love mine. My wife gave it to me for Christmas. What I like is that it field strips fast and easy. lightweight, slim (easy to use with the grandkids), and accurate. I have ran a couple of hundred round through mine and I am happy as a peach about it.

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X:

Who's Buck Rogers?

Just kiddin'...

Mike Harbour
Helena, Montana

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

internet rumor has it the internals of the Neos are closely derived from an old High Standard design. i've never handled either one, but i'm guessing the Neos might be a decent plinker/range gun; that's what it seems to be designed and sold for, and after all, Beretta isn't known for totally screwing up all that often.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife bought a NEOS about two years ago, and between the two of us we've put probably 10,000 rounds through it. I didn't clean or oil it til around 6,000 rounds, but it hadn't had a malfunction yet (besides the occasional Remington Golden Bullet primer non-ignition that happens in every gun). It may not be a target gun, but it may be. I don't know, because we just plink with it - Federal 550 round bulk paks go down without a hiccup. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I found one for under $200. We bought ours new for $250, two years ago.

I wouldn't buy a Ruger, because I KNOW the Neos works perfectly.

Oh yeah, the safety does dig into your hand when it's on, but that reminds you to take off the safety.

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my Neos. Not just shooting it...cleaning it is a breeze. I love the design as it is all about comfort. Point of aim feels natural. The nice big "loading nub" on the side of the magazines to compress the spring is something I really appreciate on days I spend more than a couple of hours shooting. I'd like to shake the hand of the man that came up with that! I keep it clean and use a light oil. No jams, works flawlessly. I bought the basic black with 6" barrel. Everyone I've let shoot it has loved it.

Diamondback

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home