A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, March 10, 2008

The CCM Bicycle

I have a thing for old bicycles. I especially like bikes of the old heavy black utilitarian sort. Thus, when I saw this old clunker from Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Ltd on ebay, I salivated. The seller listed it as:
A solid black, antique ladies bicycle made by CCM. Reminiscent of the bicycle in The Wizard of Oz, all you need to add is a basket for Toto (and possibly a witch). A solid frame sits on top of 28 x 1 ½ inch tires, which appear to be original. They hold air, no problem, and it rides well. Also please note the distinctive CCM sprocket.

This one owner bike is from an estate in upstate New York where the bike was stored in a dry basement. There is minor surface rust on the handle bars and stem, but should come off easily. This bike is ready to ride, become a conversation piece, or both.
I looked over the photos. It certainly seemed to be original. It was a bit rusty and dinged up, but it was all there. It was a woman's bike, but that just might be ideal if I ever get knee replacements. The old girl had the long head tube and rake of European ubiquitous bikes, with a steel lugged frame, a double kickstand, and even the original bell and grips on the handlebars. I wouldn't do a thing to it except swap the seat for a sprung Brooks leather saddle.

Wow.....The current bid when I first spotted it was US $20.50 with $51.97 shipping. I could handle that......Plus a little more.

I decided to watch it and lie in wait.....

Yeah, I was going to snipe it........Winning bid: US $265.00. That wasn't me.........

CCM Bike Overhaul

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

sorry you didn't get it!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You like heavy utilitarian bikes?

How about these?

Add a 20 mph electric assist hub, A 17 mile 36V-20AH Lithium Iron Phosphate battery ( a stack of laptop gel-cells about the size of a loaf of bread ), and who needs a car?

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home