A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Laffitte's Gourmet Cajun Pickles

My wife just brought home a jar of these from the Brookshires. I had a hankering for pickles, so I opened the jar and got a fork.

What I found was the most delectable, perfectly made pickle I have ever savored. I have eaten pickles canned at home by many little old ladies. That's a fringe benefit of doing home care nursing in the South. Some were, I dare say, better than the memory of my own Grandmother's pickles. Believe me, I am a connoisseur of fine pickles.

This store bought product whoops them all. It is crispy candy to the palette, with just a hint of twang to the senses. You can not eat just one. No way. Tomorrow, we are going back and buying ten jars. If they are available at your grocer, buy and try them. If they are not, ask why.

Laffittes Foods is located at 506 N Front St Converse, LA. Phone: 318-567-9731

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Wow, Xav - sounds wonderful! Have you had those Tomolives - little pickled green tomatoes in olive-style brine? They are wonderful, too. Great in vodka martinis, as well.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

Are these sweet pickles or sour? Or hot & sour?

More info requested!

That or a scratch N taste monitor!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

Available mail order!

http://www.jelks-coffee.com/newshop/index1.html

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same reaction to Wickles a couple of years ago, bought everything the local Publix had in stock then ordered a case from the Home Office. They're sweet and fiery at the same time, HIGHLY recommend them. We'll have to try and run these down now, thanks!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Sweet like a Bread & Butter, with a bit of pepper added.

6:57 PM  
Blogger BobG said...

My mom used to pickle green tomatoes in garlic and brine.
I like making hot pickled okra, with plenty of garlic and chiles.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Hyunchback said...

I've been looking at all my local stores for these pickles without success but I did make an interesting find last night.

This being Texas there is usually some amount of jalapeño peppers on the shelves. Last night's find was

http://www.peppertraders.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

Bread & Butter Jalapeños. Sweet and Hot. Texture clearly isn't pickles but they do taste delicious!

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home