A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Snow Days

They said it would snow. They thought it would stick. Ilsa at the windowI laughed at their folly. That's just "wintery mix." Calling that snow is like calling gumbo a char-broiled steak. This is Louisiana after all......

No, Doctor B, I'm not washing instruments, and I'm not kissing the water buffalo. I didn't see any snow. I didn't even see any ice except at the Icee machine in the cafeteria. If you have evidence of snowfall, I hope you made it into a ball and stuck it in your freezer for Monday.

Meanwhile, Ilsa knows it's Saturday. She wants to go bike riding. It's excessively cold, at least for this rider. Looking in through the backyard bay window, she exposes her dubious description of the temperature by the frosty breath from her nostrils. The sun is out. Maybe later girl.

I'm going to fire up the crock pot and cook some chilli. I just need some nopales and masa to make it good. Then some chipotles.

Xavier's World Famous Chilli:

• 3 pounds ground chuck, seared
• 1 package stew meat, seared
• 1 big chopped onion
• 3 smashed garlic cloves
• 2 pieces of bacon cut crosswise into pieces
• 2 cans tomato chunks
• 2 cans tomato paste
• 2 cans red kidney beans
• 1 ½ cups of nopales
• 1 ½ cups of frozen or fresh whole kernel corn
• 2 tablespoons of chili powder
• 3/4 cup of shredded Pepper Jack cheese
• 2 tablespoons of Masa
• 1 ½ teaspoons of dried crushed chipotle
• 1 ½ teaspoons of paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
• 1 package fajita mix
• several squirts lime juice
• 3 cups of water
• Sea salt

Mix all this stuff up in a crockpot, and heat for at least two hours to distribute the flavor throughout. Serve hot with corn or tortillia chips of choice.

The crown of my head sweats just thinking about it.....

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that sounds great. I'll have to try it. Seagypsy

1:59 PM  
Blogger BobG said...

My kind of cooking. I had a bunch of nopalitos on the side with my dinner last night. Cooked some chicken breasts with lime, cumin, chiles, and tomatillos, shredded them, and then used them for stuffing in enchiladas.

3:34 PM  
Blogger the pawnbroker said...

xavier: my wifey is a serious chiliholic, we'll have to try your recipe...

unfortunately we left the north georgia mountain place last weekend so we missed the nice little snow dusting they got up there; my son said it's lovely though i'm sure there are some midwestern folks who would be glad to share a foot or three with us down here in fla.

thank you for your visit and encouragement on my new little blog...yours was the first blog i visited and i added you as a link on my other blogs i like list, hope you don't mind...

you're more than welcome there anytime and if you'd like to add me to your blogroll, that would be most welcome, too.

regards, jtc

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful picture of Ilsa! You can just feel how she how bad she wants to go!

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home