A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Steam Punk

I must be behind the times.........I guess most old guys are. I have noticed a certain whimsical Victorian styling to many objects d'art, and even functional items as well. Kind of a history that never really was.

I always found this styling cool. I remember the guy with the helicopter in Mad Max. He had panache, a certain technological out here aloofness that defied categorization. More recently, I learned this styling has been given a name.........Steam Punk. So that is what I have enjoyed! Ironically, Steam Punk is the essence of a design that is hopelessly out of step with modern convention. Sort of an alternate reality with a history that split from ours somewhere in the past, and either zoomed off into an apocalyptic wasteland, or a world of eccentric, opulent beauty.....or both. Cathode bulbs, brass, glass and bizarre filigree, yeah, I could get into this stuff.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger John Hardin said...

May I recommend to your attention the Girl Genius webcomic, if you've never encountered it before?

http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier:

Thanks to Lady Tam, I have discovered the Steampunk Workshop: http://steampunkworkshop.com/ Very cool. I'm going to try the etching process one of these days.

Also, you may be interested in Dr Grordbort's Infallible Aether Oscillators: http://www.wetanz.com/holics/index.php?catid=4 Just the thing for dealing with an infestation of Moon Men. Be sure to catch the infomercial and testimonials.

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Google "steampunk star wars" for some pretty cool drawings.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like Burning Man festival in the Blackrock desert, NV in the background. Great times. Alot of great sites to see. :) And yes Mad max/steampunk is a fav costume style of many. Well for those that wear anything.

12:51 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

steampunk can be pretty sexy, imho.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Might I also recommend http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/ and the accompanying forum. Just be forward that the cast of characters is rather "international".

11:25 PM  
Blogger Ken said...

Yes, indeed. Personally, I should very much like to acquire the ultimate steampunk firearm: a Borchardt C-93.

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home