A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, April 28, 2008

Jingles

I don't care for cats. I do not find their aloofness, or their reserved affection appealing. I sneeze from their dander. Their nocturnal yowling wakes me up from my slumber. They are not quite the pestilence of roaches, but they are not far off either.

Seven years ago, a grey kitten came down from the live oaks in our front yard, and into my sweet daughter's life. I tried to prevent it at first, but the look in those baby girl eyes (my wife and daughter's eyes) told me that would be a lost cause. So it was that Jingles became a little grown up lioness on our front porch. She hunted birds, and she kept the squirrels from gnawing into the eaves of our old house. She also hunted mice and would leave her prizes on our doorstep to make my wife squeal for me in the morning. Jingles would come bounding across the yard anytime my little girl came outside or exited the car, eager for her attention and affection. During the cold wet winter months, Jingles was allowed in my daughter's room at night, curling up purring among her bed clothes.

Little Darling loved Jingles, and that was good enough for me. Jingles loved Little Darling as well. My relationship with Jingles began with adversion, morphed into tolerance, and finally into affection. I found myself scratching her behind the ears as I came home from work.

This morning I called into work, telling the crew i would be late. My wife had found Jingles in the front yard on her way to do the morning musical automobile game we play each morning in our driveway. Jingles was gone. I awakened my daughter, and we buried her under the live oaks from whence she came to us.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to hear of your loss...My tabby looks alot like yours...
the "M" on their forehead supposdly came from them purring at Jesus' manger,Mary looked down and smiled at their "performance"..and kissed one on it's forehead,thus forever "blessing" them with that letter of her name

1:02 AM  
Blogger Stoney Pete said...

I feel much the same way about cats. Alas, I love my kids more than I dislike their cats. The two owned by my daughters will be the last. Though I am looking forward to cleaning the cat hair off everything for the last time, I'm not looking forward to the heart break of my girls. Please pass on my condolences to your wife and daughter.

5:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so sorry Little Darling.

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people can't comprehend how much they enrich our lives. I feel sorry for those people.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

Daughter just recently used the "look" on husband - and we welcomed a new kitten into our already animal filled home (two dogs and an adult cat). He said that he saw her fall in love with the kitten and just couldn't tell her no... He's such a softy :).

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always hard to love something you love and that loves you back. Little Darling might take some comfort in this:
http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

My sympathies to you all.

Lissa

2:52 PM  
Blogger Reno Sepulveda said...

((((((((((good vibes))))))))))

6:29 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

I've one of my 2 cats asleep on my lap as I read about the loss of feline friendship & affection at your home tonight. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss.

11:08 PM  
Blogger Strings said...

Given that I grew up serving felines, and currently act as staff for 8 of the lil' buggers, I know how much they enrich your life.

Please pass my sympathies to your daughter: she's lost what was probably her best friend...

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home