A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, April 18, 2008

Listening To Katrina

Ever consider a "bug out bag?" Ever wonder what it's really like to have to leave your home in an emergency? What do you take? What do you leave? Which way do you go? How the hell do you prioritize? Do you survive, or do you prosper? Or do you die? Two and a half years ago, the Gulf Coast was destroyed by Katrina. I still hear people in my own area talking zombie killing "I am Legend" fantasy bullshit when it comes to surviving a disaster. My own blog, this one, was started as a guttural response to hurricane Katrina.

Although I saw the results of what occurred, I fortunately was not forced to leave home. I did not have to escape with hungry children in tow. My family remained intact and safe. My blog morphed towards other concerns. Other blogs that chronicled Katrina have slipped away. One, "Listening to Katrina" is a resource for those who wish to learn the lessons of survival from the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

"If you don't like guns, then we're going to need to have a talk about this later. My plan calls for me to take my primary defense gun (in addition to my pistols) with me. I, and I alone, am responsible for the protection of my Health, Wealth, and Family, and the firearm is a key instrument in that philosophy. A gun is not only wealth, but the means to defend that wealth. I am not speaking to you from a theoretical standpoint. Get one."
Go there. Give it a read. Learn. Listen to Katrina.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said: "worst natural disaster in U.S. history"

We lost our home and everything else to the levee failures in New Orleans during Katrina - as did our friends, most of our relatives and all of our neighbors across a couple of dozen zip codes.

Please refer to the crime for what it was: the levee failures were "the worst engineering disaster in U.S. history" -this was a man made catastrophe that killed well over a thousand US Citizens and destroyed hundreds of billions of dollars worth of property. Thanks.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Listening to Katrina is one of the best survival reference documents I have ever reviewed. I'll be certain to print everything in an effort to upgrade my planning. Thanks for the very important link.
whw

9:58 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Sorry anon #1, but Katrina devastated much more than just New Orleans.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for that link. I've read a lot and have made prep for both bugging out and staying put, but from what I've read so far there is more I can learn.

Living in central FL but having all family in New Orleans where I was raised, I was watching Katrina closely and called my sister at 10 New Orleans time one night. TP, WDSU, and WWL hadn't even posted the turn and wouldn't for another 2 hours. I told her to get the hell out of New Orleans. I told her what I was seeing and that the media were apparently asleep.

She immediately began pulling stuff indoors, packing the car, grabbing Mother out of assisted living, and heading out to a cousin's in Opelousas. She was thankfully early and ahead of the exodus wave. She now has permanent plans and some prepositioning of assets.

Staying informed is an important part of it all and the media blew it as badly as the various levels of government did.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home