A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, April 04, 2008

Obedience Class

My wife mate signed me and Ilsa up for an obedience class to be attended every Thursday evening. Last night was Ilsa's second class. She is doing very well, performing at the top of her class. She has mastered each command with only three or four attempts. She generalizes well, refusing to be distracted.

Ilsa is very much a Daddy's girl though, unable to give attention to the instructors when they take her out to the center of the class to demonstrate. She just keeps looking back at Daddy to see if it's OK, ignoring the instructor altogether. As far as I'm concerned, the class is more to help her learn to socialize, which she seems to enjoy. She is intensely curious about the yapping Dr. Seuss dog, and she thinks the Labrador needs an attitude adjustment. She likes the Blue Heeler.

Socialization and obedience is very important for a dog like a German Shepherd. They instinctively want to please, they just want to know what it is their human wants. They are pack animals. The pack hierarchy is their security. They want an alpha dog, or alpha human. They will assume the role if their owner does not. The resulting conflict and confusion creates stress that leads to bad behavior if left unchecked. With an alpha human, they are content and ever willing to please.

My wife signed me and Ilsa up for an obedience class. We go every Thursday........

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Ed Skinner said...

Good dog.
Good man.

8:59 AM  
Blogger BobG said...

"My wife mate signed me and Ilsa up for an obedience class to be attended every Thursday evening."

The dog was just an excuse to get you there.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your posting!

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I are there every Wednesday night with our now 5 month old. We have already been through the puppy class. Now at the next stage. I think the training is very important for large breed dogs.

PS - the training is really for hte owners - not the dogs

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Terrific use of irony Xav. Your message was subtle but telling. The ending caught me completely by surprise. I enjoy your writing more all the time.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Keith Walker said...

I was thinking the same thing as Ed and Bobg. So, X, What have you learned there? lol

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home