A Nurse with a Gun

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Raleigh Single Speed On Ebay

I was amused to see that Fly Bike Shop in Denver Colorado just put a Raleigh Grand Prix single speed (in bronze green no less!) up for bids on ebay. I recently purchased a fixie from Fly, as well as converted a Raleigh Grand Prix to single speed status myself. I think my Grand Prix is a heck of a lot cooler.

Fly's auction reads:
Here is a really cool Raleigh road bike that we converted into a single speed road bike. This bike is probably from the 70's and has a really cool vintage look to it and is a cool green color. The lugs on this bike are beautiful and the lower half of the forks are chromed. The cranks are the original Raleigh cranks and it has an old school stem also. All it needs now is a Brooks leather saddle (which we have in our ebay store).

Single speed road bikes like this are the perfect bike for commuting, city riding, running around college campuses, or just riding for fun. What makes single speed bikes so cool is that they are simple and bullet proof tough. Without front and rear derailleurs, shifters, and all the cables there is very little that can go wrong or out of adjustment. The worst thing that can really happen is the chain coming off and if it does happen you can pop it back on quick, easy, and without tools. Single speed bikes are also a lot lighter without all the other components so they are strong and quick to ride. I built a single speed road bike like this for myself recently and now I would rather ride it than any of my other bikes.

Starting bid: US $99.95
This one's going to be interesting.........

Winning bid: US $249.50

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your grand prix is a lot nicer Xav.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
I couldn't find a way to email this to you, but at least it's on topic. I found this on the Best of Craigslist Page: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/608546617.html

Thought you might enjoy it.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that bike!

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

doesn't it come with pedals?

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home