1. Make certain you are familiar with the lap top computer.
2. Get a mouse and mouse pad, or a trackball.
3. Have a photo editor program on board.
4. Have the adapters to get your photos out of your camera.
5. Have web based email.
6. Know how to use your web based email.
7. Place frequently used data from home on flash drives.
I found that once connectivity was accomplished, and once I had a track ball (my preference) things went pretty smoothly.
10 laptop traveling tips.
More laptop travel tips.