A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Dinner Party Colt

Sometimes you never know when an old pistol will pop up. I was shown and offered this Colt 1903 Hammerless this evening at a dinner party. It was a nice pistol, with quite a bit of remaining finish. Everything functioned correctly, and it appeared to be all original.

The owner was not really motivated to sell, simply saying he had an "old Colt" he might get rid of. I disassembled the little shooter and checked the bore. It was good. I ventured $400. He declined. I decided to let it continue to reside with him. Often, that is the best policy if you are not certain about the value of a gun for sale.

More information on the 1903 Hammerless can be found at Colt Autos.com.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger nature223 said...

Xav...that was a fair offer,their KINDA unusual..but not particularly scarce or valuable.
gunbroker averages about 300-600 or so..they are a nice browning design,but if he wants more....meh,keep it

10:56 PM  
Blogger Weetabix said...

I find those Colts oddly attractive, and I can't quite put my finger on the reason. They're a bit boxy.

They're on my "some day" purchase list. I don't have a clue right now how much one might be worth.

7:59 AM  
Blogger daddymax said...

Xav,
I purchase the majority of my clothes from Sierratradingpost.com Name brands, my schedule, no clerks.

FYI, your seller of the 38 super also has a 1903 for sale here:GunBroker.com Item 100368204.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

I came here to post exactly what weetabix already said.

It seems like all older Colt's pistols have a certain similar style though, so the attraction should be expected, I guess.

Very cool gun, thanks for sharing.

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently sold one for $425. Got it as a memorium for my grandpa and as a Dashiell Hammett commemorative model. Great shooter, a lot of soul. But expensive to feed and I don't see myself reloading for .32. If I trip over another in .380 I'll swoop though. In honor of Fairbairn.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Assrot said...

I figure that $400 was a fairly generous offer. Some folks think just because a gun is old and says Colt on it that they have a piece of gold in their hands.

These little Colts are decent firearms but I would not break the bank for one.

My thoughts are that he's fishing and once he figures out that he doesn't have gold he'll probably rethink your offer.

Give it a month or so and make the offer again if you like the gun.

I picked one up recently for $325 in about the same shape. Mine probably has a little more wear to the finish but it's a solid gun that works good and has no missing, broken or jerry-rigged parts on it.

Joe

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home