A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Donut Shooting

It was a balmy night in Fort Worth Texas. Richard Lane was wearing a mask when he burst into Happy Donuts demanding money. He was carrying what appeared to be a rifle. Chong Im Randle, the owner recalls: "I say you not to shoot. Okay, you kill me I'm going to heaven. You going to jail." The masked criminal cleaned out the cash drawer. The thief then assaulted the donut proprietor. "He followed me, then grabbed me, says Randle, "I hit him with my elbow. I say 'you gotta go'."

"I grabbed my telephone," Randal said, "He said, 'don't call police'. I say 'I gotta do something.'" Richard Lane responded by beating the lady. He then tried to steal her automobile.

Stanley Livingston, a neighbor, overheard the attack, and the 54 year old Texan grabbed his shotgun. Responding to the criminal assault, Livingston found his friend and neighbor in distress and a rifle pointed through the night at him by the masked man. Stanley Livingston raised his shotgun and stopped Richard Lane's criminal career and ended his despicable life with one well aimed blast. Police arrived minutes later to find a dead criminal with a BB gun. Richard Lane had an comprehensive criminal portfolio, including aggravated assault and aggravated robbery.

Fort Worth defense attorney Trey Loftin states it is unlikely Livingston will be charged. "We're a gun toting state. We have a lot of John Wayne in our blood. We're gonna shoot first and ask questions later," he says, "A man, in a mask with what looks like a rifle, has just robbed and beaten my neighbor, my friend, this little old lady, and now he's pulled the gun on me. I've got to shoot. Totally justified in doing so."

"If my neighbor no come, what is going [to] happen? I might die," says Chong Im Randle. Only one problem there Mrs. Randle. Stop counting on your neighbor. Buy your own gun and learn to use it.

Good shootin' Mr. Livingston!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Bruce said...

What a bitter gun-clinging neighbor. The more enlightened and progressive response would be to call 911 and listen to the sounds of the lady being killed while you wait for the police to arrive.

9:30 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

Yeah, what Xav said, Ms. Randle.
And rock on, Mr. Livingston!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Rabbit said...

In an earlier interview, Mrs. Randal stated she believed him to be the one who had robbed her earlier in the week.

Regards,
Rabbit.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"State records indicate Lane had an extensive criminal history, including aggravated assault and aggravated robbery."

I feel no sympathy for this asshole.

Hopefully Mr. Livingston won't have to experience any more negative repercussions than he's already had to face (I don't envy having to kill someone, so I hope he's feeling alright).

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We're a gun toting state. We have a lot of John Wayne in our blood. We're gonna shoot first and ask questions later," he says, "A man, in a mask with what looks like a rifle, has just robbed and beaten my neighbor, my friend, this little old lady, and now he's pulled the gun on me. I've got to shoot. Totally justified in doing so."

THats very good, i like that statement a lot!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Not Too Pensive said...

(I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice.)

The only thing that pisses me off more than seeing a small business like this get robbed for money is seeing one robbed of its tools. It's one thing to rob cash, and another to rob the very implements of work.

In any case, good shooting, Mr. Livingston.

My understanding is that every or virtually every state criminal law (common or statutory) allows lethal self-defense based not on whether the criminal did in fact pose a threat to your life and limb but whether you reasonably perceived it at the time. This transfers to third-persons who are lending aid. The civil standard is the same or quite close as well, or so goes my basic understanding - I haven't looked up individual state laws, so this isn't official, and you should check your state to be sure.

Here, we have a guy wearing a mask and armed with something designed to look like a weapon threatening a store clerk. Assuming these facts are accurate, bingo - Livingston could shoot without fear of civil or criminal liability. The executors of the perp's estate or his family/girlfriend/whatever could still file a lawsuit, and Livingston could still have to defend himself, but the odds that it will actually see the inside of a courtroom rather than quickly be thrown out by a judge are quite slim indeed.

Good aim, shooter (likely) protected from liability, small business defended, and a perp removed from society. All in all, a good day.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But all he had was a bb gun!!!! He couldn't hurt anyone with that. Well maybe if he shot them in the eye, but what are the chances of that happening? Ms. Randalls eyes are very small. Was Mr. Livingston wearing glasses? If he was there was no reason to shoot poor Mr. Lane.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to think that "Beth" was a gun control advocate with extreme views.

I now see "Beth" as someone who deliberately distorts things in an absurd way to provoke people.

Whether this person is a prankster or has a darker motive doesn't matter. If we don't rise to the bait "she" will get tired of the game.

I think other readers have figured this out before me, so maybe I was a little slow. But I will no longer play.

1:39 PM  
Blogger Not Too Pensive said...

"beth" is just a troll.

No need to feed the trolls.

3:26 PM  
Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

Maybe it's my warped sense of humor, but I think Beth is doing parody here.

"Ms. Randalls eyes are very small. Was Mr. Livingston wearing glasses? If he was there was no reason to shoot poor Mr. Lane.

This doesn't strike you as humor?

Gary

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Livingston may be clear of any civil suit...I am not sure if the "Castle Doctrine" law passed here in Texas last year applies to this situation. That law exempts an individual who is involved in a legal self-defense shooting from civil suits, but I am not sure if this only applies in his or her own home.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Teri said...

That night has remained a big part of our lives. Stanley Livingston now in afterlife was haunted by the shot he felt he had to take. Stan didn't see himself as a hero or doing society a great favor that night "I sent that man to hell" he'd express with deep grief. It's sad Richard Lane followed a path that created pain and grief to many around him. Richard Lane's brother and niece reached out to Stanley which moved me deeply.

If I may give Honor to my step dad Stanley Livingston as a Hero, my Hero for his bravery that night.

On May 24, 2011 Stanley picked up that same buckeye shotgun and sadly took his life. I don't understand... but I trust God has all things in his hands. . .

May we all love with a bravery that would face a masked robber in the dark for a neighbor, let alone ourselves. To act in love even if we self destruct. To find love even when wrong so clearly had been done to us. Love is the weapon I'm packin', I've found nothing greater. My step dad Stan taught me this.

Thank you, Teri Gallardo

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home