A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, June 27, 2008

Mr. Mathes

Fred Mathes is 92 years old. His ride is a three speed Schwinn Traveler that he purchased in 1952. He doesn't feel the need to purchase a newer bike any more than he feels the need to purchase more gears. Three is more than enough.

For his 80th birthday, he took a 380 mile ride to Oxnard California. For his 90th birthday, he took a 40 mile ride. His average daily ride is around fifteen miles.

Mr. Mathes does not wear flamboyant lycra or special cycling shoes. He climbs on his bike and rides in what he happens to be wearing at the time. If he is wearing long trousers, he rolls a pants leg up. Simple as that.

The Mathes Gestalt of cycling is "the breeze in your face, the exercise, and the constant change of scenery." Yep.

If I make it to 90 years of age, I hope I am as cool as Mr. Mathes.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for lycra... old men sweat less :) especially those in good shape... My cotton t-shirts are wet heavy even after short rides... I now ride in polyester shirt and some semi-synthetic shorts... I'm far from lycra fetish though...

As for gears... its not that important how many gears you've got but how far apart they are...normaly I use fastest slowest and middle gear setup in my 3x7 set. I would like to have CVT on my bike...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVPjhmTThPo

Herrmannek

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers to Mr. Mathes - he has found an elixer of youth...

5:50 AM  
Blogger Owen said...

I hope i'm that cool as well.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Tam said...

I met Ed Halligan, the custom knifemaker (he designed the KISS and PECK sold by CRKT) at Blade Show one year. He was in his early '70s and rode 20 to 50 miles a day.

He told me about the time a year or two before when he had to pedal home after some idiot driver cleaned him off his bike and drove off. Pedal home some 16 miles. With a broken collarbone, among other fractures.

Some folks just seem to toughen with time...

2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home