A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: New Possibilities

I managed to hit a few pawn shops after work today. Kenny was excited to tell me he had been promoted to assistant manager when I walked in. He had several handguns under the glass, including a Ruger semi-auto, a Beretta 92FS, a Llama 1911 style pistol, and a Springfield XD. The Beretta was $359, the Llama was $279, and the XD was $449. I wasn't interested in any of them so Kenny and I chatted about his new job,and then I moved on.

On the way to Neil's place, I spotted a new pawn shop, so I swung into the parking lot. Inside, the owner had decorated up his gun displays with Spanish moss and such. The most interesting gun he had was a modern Spanish copy of the Smith & Wesson M&P. The rest of his stock was rough pot metal Ring of Fire type guns. I asked to have a look at the S&W copy, mostly out of courtesy and get a feel for the place. The owner told me exactly what the gun was, and asked what I was interested in. I told him.....Old 1911s and old Smiths. He then told me that when he had opened the previous week, he had quite a few old revolvers, with some Smiths among them, and they had sold like hot cakes. He also informed me that he would be getting a new "shipment" in soon. I told him I would check back with him in a week or so. The Spanish revolver was rather finish worn and it wore a $129 price tag. I handed it back and bade the owner goodbye.

Neil was chomping a cigar and reading the newspaper when I walked in. "Long time no see," he said. "Where have you been?"

"Been busy," I replied. Neil's handgun stock consisted of two Smith & Wesson auto pistols. I never could tell those apart. Of Neil's examples, one was nickel plated, and the other had a polymer frame. He was asking $300-325 for each one.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Glenn B said...

I have forgotten what it was like living where there were pawn Shops that sold guns. NY sucks.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mattexian said...

"Ring of Fire"? Made around the Pacific Rim? Transported to 1632 in Grantville, WV?

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home