A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: Pearls and Smiths

I drove over to Dave's pawn shop this afternoon. He had a Glock 27 in the case, as well as a S&W 22A, and some other plastic fantastic. At the end of the shelf though, cold Smith stainless beckoned me to make a closer examination. I asked Dave to remove a Smith & Wesson Model 66 from the case. It was an early production Model 66, no dash. The rear sight was stainless steel. The front was a plain stainless ramp. It was pinned and recessed. The grips were walnut targets. I looked the gun over, beamed a bore light up the barrel, and checked it for end shake. The old girl locked up tight. The rifling was sharp. There was some minor flame cutting on the top strap, and the grunge of poor storage was present on the exterior. Still, it was a P&R Smith, in original condition, and a rather obscure early example of the Model 66.

I thought about it a bit while Dave took care of another customer. Finally, I decided to pass. It was a stainless gun, not blue. I already had a Model 66, although it is not pinned or recessed. Finally, at $329, the price was OK, but not something to make me reach for my wallet. I handed the revolver back and came home.

I looked in my safe as soon as I got home, and retrieved the pearls I had purchased my wife for our anniversary. Click to enlargeI wasn't certain when she would arrive home, but I wanted them in my pocket when she drove up. At four o'clock, Ilsa announced her arrival with a woof and a dash to the door. I gave her a hug, and wished her a happy anniversary. I pulled the pearls out of my pocket and placed them around my mate's neck. She squealed with delight. Then she asked what I wanted........

"Why a gun, of course."

"But you buy your own guns."

"I know, but there is one I saw today, and I wrote down the serial number......"

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger nature223 said...

Xav...let us know how the Wife buying the gun works out for ya...
interesting peice

6:48 PM  
Blogger Rorschach said...

You Dog! (no offense Ilsa!)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Assrot said...

Hah! I thought I was the only one that asked for guns for presents. I don't care what day it is, Birthday, Father's Day, Anniversary, Valentine's Day, Christmas, or any old time someone feels like buying me something, I always have one or two guns in mind that I would like to add to the collection.

Is it in our blood and soul or are we really just gun nuts? Actually, I could care less what other folks think. I love my guns and I take care of them almost as good as I do my family.

Molon Labe,
Joe

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's how you do it! :-)

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gal!

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam - Did you mean,"What gall?"

9:20 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

Congrats on you and your mates special day. Both of you are very lucky.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your wife have a sister?

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super story.

Congrats on the great find... Of course I mean your Mrs.


;-)

Best wishes on your anniversary.

1894C

8:58 AM  
Blogger Weetabix said...

What do pinned and recessed mean?

Oh, yeah: and happy anniversary!

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jeff ( Va. Rebel ) said...

Hello from Virginia ... googled some gun news and found your blog also .
Looks like quite alot of good reading .

Guns , pawn shop goodies and good gals ... looking great !

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
This post got me wondering, finally . . . is Dave at the pawn shop the type who would read this blog? He must wonder why you take photos of the guns in his shop, even the ones you don't buy. I guess your strategy would be ruined if he ever found out about your blog? What's your cover story to him?

12:24 PM  
Blogger Rorschach said...

weetabix, google is your friend:
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2005/12/pinned-recessed.html

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weetabix,

Pinned and recessed, in a nutshell.

Back when Smith and Wesson was in their prime quality wise there were some added touches on some revolvers that sets them apart from their brethren.

Collectors keep an eye out for such features.

The pinned refers to a pinned barrel. Once the barrel is attached to the revolver it is staked or "pinned" to fix it in place. Think of it like dovetails on a drawer.

The recessed refers to cut outs or "recesses" in the cylinder for the top of a cartridge to set into. Again it it a subtle detail that while not strictly necessary shows a higher degree of craftsmanship.

S&W stopped pinning and recessing factory production run guns in the early 80's I think. But I think custom shop and their retro line may still have these features.

Interestingly enough not all revolvers from the period have both features for example my model 19-4 K frame .357 magnum is pinned and recessed but my model 39 .38 spcl bodyguard (humpback) a J frame snubby is pinned but not recessed.

For whatever reason I don't think S&W ever recessed the J frame snub guns.

Regards,

1894C

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home