A Nurse with a Gun

Friday, June 20, 2008

The Raleigh Super Course

The handlebar stem was stuck when I started on the Raleigh Super Course frame. After a week's soak in ATF, it was still stuck. Click to enlargeI decided to Slip in a set of drop bars and proceed with the build anyway.

The Super Course was originally a medium priced racing bike, a Nottingham ten speed. This example was the classic British green, my favorite color. I installed a single speed cottered crank and bottom bracket, and the build was on it's way. A 27 inch front rim gave up it's hub to my spoke wrench, and in it's place I installed a Sturmey Archer coaster brake. The front rim is a high flange Araya rim. Both rims are shod with Kenda gum wall rubber. A Shimano quick release skewer secures the front hub, while old fashioned wing nuts secure the rear. A nickel plated 1/8 inch chain spins the wheels via rat trap pedals. A Brooks B17 Champion leather seat is atop a 26.4mm Kalloy micro-adjustable seat post.

Because I could not remove the GB handlebar stem, I was stuck with the forward center pull brake bracket beneath the headset bolt. To disguise it for the time being, I stuck a dice on the stud. I decided to leave the braze-ons on this frame, as they are solidly attached and at some point I may chose to return the bike to original status.

A set of moustache handlebars will likely be in this bike's future, but for now I stuck some ivory Hunt-Wilde rubber grips on the ends of the drop bars to prevent coring injuries to my knees if for no other reason.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the great blogging. Because of you I've hunted down a sun uno - why does Sun understock so horribly in the mid west? - and will be riding more around town.

Now if the Craigslist seller will just get the bike shipped...

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one cool bike!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home