A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, July 21, 2008

Alien Elements

Everyone who has frequented gun forums online has seen them. Gun photos. Gun pron. Some good, some woefully bad. Some so large that it takes the file three minutes to try to appear before degenerating into a red X of relief. Some photos bring to mind the Dutch still life painters of the Renaissance, others have gnarly toes of the photographer intruding into the frame, a backdrop of dirty carpet surrounding a miniature handgun in the center of the frame.

Then there are the conventions.......Those damned conventions. A watch. A flashlight. Expensive gun leather. Watches. Speedloaders. GI gear. Watches. Keyboards. A cigar. A watch. A pocket knife. A Rambo knife. A watch. A watch. A watch. What the hell is up with the watches?

I really have to hand it to Breda for her gun pic with flowers. How refreshing to see something different. Then i took a photo of a revolver with pearls. Hmmmmmmm not bad. Interesting. Several months ago, I wrote an article on taking gun photographs. In that article, I recalled a quote by surrealist painter Max Ernst....."The association of two or more apparently alien elements on a plane alien to both is the most potent ignition of poetry." I toyed with the idea of doing just that in gun photography, as I had in still life painting years ago.

Sometimes I think gun owner/photographers take themselves too seriously with their conventional approach to gun photography. Today I decided to push those boundaries.......To gather a few elements alien to one another. To have a little fun with gun photography and poke a bit of fun at myself and us all. Click to enlarge. Enjoy.

Primary Colours with a Five

Study in Ochre, Umber and Blue


Pyrogliphics and Python


Chicken Trap

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Bruce said...

I was gonna start taking all my gun pictures with kitchen utensils in the shot - eggbeaters, lemon zesters, measuring spoons. Or just forks and spoons. Why should knives get all the glamor shots?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Ed Skinner said...

This is why I am not an artist.
WTF???

10:04 PM  
Blogger Sterno said...

The chicken in the last photo is my favorite.

The garlic is nice too.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Five Rolex watches and all on different time. They must have been bought in Mexico from a sidewalk vendor.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite Xavier gun pic (which I can't find now) was the one with an obnoxiously cheap revolver, a home made shiv, and a money clip.

7:05 AM  
Blogger MauserMedic said...

How about a Glock on a bed of rubber chickens?

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a voodoo doll?

10:07 AM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

Guns, bicycles, dogs, pawnshops (with guns & bicycles). I thoroughly enjoy myself everytime I visit here. Thanks...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

pdb,
You mean this one?

Probably time I should update it to better quality.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! It works on so many levels.

4:26 PM  
Blogger lee n. field said...

That one you linked to, with the flowers. Wow.

It's just a Bersa. It's just a .380, but the flowers and the light. Wow.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's this for one of the favorites? I've got plenty of tac stuff, but this one's made me more happy in usage. Hope the tac stuff never sees a need but at the ranges.

250 Yards and express sights.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Mike W. said...

I really like the last shot!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

X-man, you made me hungry. I like to take thinly sliced steak, with that hot Hungarian paprika sprinkled on it, over a hot bunch of coals. Throw some sliced onions on, just before it's done (and that ain't long). Excellent eats. Not often that I get the growls looking a gun pron ;) Much appreciation from sunny south TX.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Brandon said...

I've never understood the watch thing.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home