A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Screamin' Deal

I was wanting a rear rack for a urban warrior bike I am building from the Raleigh M-30 that I picked up at Neil's pawn shop for $30. I was starting to see this as a bike I could ride to work and lock outside in the elements. A bike I wouldn't worry about. I needed a rear rack on it to carry my scrubs and such though.

I stopped by the local bike shop for an inexpensive rear rack. $30. No thanks.
I went on ebay......The cheapest was around $23-25 with shipping.
I figured I could do better at Wal-Mart. They had no racks.
I remembered, however, that Toys R Us had Bell rear racks for $20 last year when I bought one for the Raleigh Passage. I sucked it up and drove to the blue store with Jeffery Giraffe outside. They were having a clearance sale. I went to the bike section, and the Bell racks were being clearanced. The shelf said $4.00. I decided to get three. That's too good a deal. I went to the register, and when they were scanned, they rang up as $2.00.........Then the lady took off an additional 20%! The things were $1.60 each! I paid my money, and I took my three bike racks to the Jeep. Then went inside and purchased the remaining two.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it Geoffrey? :P

9:22 AM  
Blogger alath said...

Yes, but the Bell one's aren't made of Titanium or carbon fibre like the ones at the bike store. You probably could have trimmed 5 or 6 grams from the total weight of your bike if you hadn't decided to go cheap on it ;-)

12:29 PM  
Blogger Mattexian said...

I'm agreeing with alath on this one, I've had the cheap racks from Toys 'R Us, they snapped within a couple of days. My dad, a mechanic. looked at them at sneered, "Potmetal." There's no way of knowing what type of "cast metal" they use in them. I went to a regular bike shop and got one of their Swiss-made aluminum racks, and I still have that one, with add-on folding pannier baskets.

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a good deal!!! Except you wasted time going back to the jeep. Just ask them to hold your bag and go get the others.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home