A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, August 18, 2008

Busted Cable

I dropped the commuter bike, and the rear straddle cable was cut between the bellcrank and some railroad ballast. The rest of the bike, including the derailleur, fared fine.

Rather than have the cable at it's bitter end after cutting away the frayed section, I decided to replace it. I rode the commuter bike to the local bicycle emporium, and rolled it inside. As it sat there among the shiny new Treks, Electras and Raleighs, I asked if they had the needed cable in stock.

I was surprised to learn they did indeed stock the piece. I had thought it would be an obsolete part that would require ordering. For three bucks, I was back on the road, headed for home with a replacement clipped in the basket. Ten minutes of wrenching, and I had the new cable on the bike, the cut end soldered, and the brakes adjusted. I will have to be more careful next time I lay the bike down.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger be603 said...

Squid alert!

Proper use of "bitter end" encountered.

a recovering sailor,
dw

10:56 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

"Squid alert!"

Aye mate.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, the lovely red sidewall.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home