A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, August 09, 2008

Failing Coaster Brake

The coaster brake on the Raleigh PUB is beginning to give me trouble after one year. Excessive slack and clattering. At first, I thought I was dealing with a loose chain, but after further troubleshooting, it definitely seems to be the hub.

The PUB came with a 36 spoke Joytech coaster brake hub. I've never heard of the brand, but it certainly sounds Taiwanese. If I'm going to replace it, it will be with something much stronger. So, I'm in the market for a Bendix red band coaster brake. I thought for a while about a two or three speed Sturmey Archer hub, but I want to keep things simple and bulletproof.

Overhauling a coaster brake

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read from multiple sources that the best of the currently manufactured coaster brakes is the "Velosteel" made in the Czech Republic. I also hear they are hard to find in US. I want to build up a wheel for one of my cruisers. I am used to Shimano coaster brakes which are serviceable but (from same sources) have higher friction than the Velosteel.

Larry

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home