A Nurse with a Gun

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Ugly Gun Sunday

Click to enlargeSome pistols just make me want to weep.

This poor old M1911 has suffered a terrible fate. Not only has it been nickeled, but several of the small parts have been gold plated. Then some miscreant slapped Paraordnance grips on it, tacking them down with Allen head screws for that true custom look.

At one time, this Colt was a proud defender of a US soldier. It would be collectible, even if it had next to no original finish, as long as it was not altered. As a finish worn and scarred up battle veteran, it would have been worth at least $900-$1000, possibly more. Click to enlargeWith the US Property mark and Colt logo removed, it would still be worth more in it's original finish, however worn it might be. With the surfaces polished and nickeled, the value dropped by half. With the gold trim, the value can be divided by half once again.

Then some guy named J.A. Oiler decided to sign this messterpiece on the right side of the slide.

With each change in this M1911, the value was decreased. But with some nickel on the gilded small parts, and a set of walnut checkered grips, this gaudy gallimaufry might at least be brought into harmony.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

I had to look up gallimaufry. *grins* A stew? Is it a local New Orleans dish, or something?

10:43 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

1. a hodgepodge; jumble; confused medley
[French galimafrée, from Old French galimafree, sauce, ragout]

Gallimaufry

10:52 AM  
Blogger Jonathan said...

One man's BBQ gun is another's pimp gun.

In most cases, it's all too much foppery for me.

I prefer functional simplicity and a bit of wear. A well-maintained firearm with a patina is a beautiful thing.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a 1911 back in the 70's that someone had nickeled and pimped out. The price was right so I bought it and took it to my 'smith where the nickel was removed and S&W sights installed. It is nicely blued now and has given good service for over 30 years. According to the serial # mine was built in 1914. Not sure this venture would be cost effective now days but I'm glad I did it back then. Keep the 1911 stuff coming. I'm a big fan of JMB, too.

1:29 PM  
Blogger nature223 said...

damn...and the serial is just over 100,000..that is disgusting.

2:00 PM  
Blogger RANDY191145 said...

I found an ugly gun for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3cKyQgWSo&feature=rec-fresh
That trigger guard is uggggly.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Rotary Bob said...

That's ok, let him do that. Let him drop the value. Then let him sell it. With diminished value, I'll finally be able to get that .45 ACP 1911 I've been wanting. I'd be more than happy to get its original finish restored. I could probably even do it by selling the gold pieces and replacing them with mil-surp ones.

9:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home