A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, September 29, 2008

Saving

After what seemed like an interminable period of time on call, my stint finally ended this morning, and I was again able to bike to work. It's getting steadily cooler, and I want to enjoy the brisker temperatures before they drop beyond tolerance.

Many people don't understand what it means to be on call, and they are fortunate for that. Being on call means that you have a twenty minute window to get back to the hospital for emergency cases. Over time, I have learned not to wager whether or not I would be called back. I simply sit at home in my scrubs and either write or read. There is always a fair to good chance that I will be called back. I drive to work on those days. When a person's life hangs in the balance, you simply want to get there as quickly and as efficiently as possible.

Over the past four days I had to refill the tank on the XUV (Xavier Utility Vehicle). I was rather surprised to find that gasoline is still around $3.65. Better than I expected. Never the less, filling that tank was a reminder that I'm steadily increasing my ammunition budget by biking.

I'm seeing more and more people on bikes it seems, but my morning commute is still a solitary one with a world that belongs to me.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

I'm seeing folks on a lot more bikes around Dallas. Mopeds, too.

10:24 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

Somehow the thought of Louisiana weather dropping "beyond endurance" made me laugh. Even here in NC I call winter the air-conditioned months and typically sleep with the windows open.

12:17 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Yeah........

5:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gas is $3.34 a gallon just north of you in Arkansas. It spiked to $3.85 during Ike and has dropped steadily since.

Can you explain why gas is 10% cheaper further from the refineries? Maybe people in LA are stocking up on fuel there in fear of another hurricane?

6:48 AM  
Blogger JAFO said...

I commute on my motorbike through the winter months, so long as it's not raining. Granted I live in Charleston, SC, but it still got down to 20 last year at times.

I'd give bicycle commuting a go, but the area I have to ride through is pretty bad. I've been approached at stoplights by shady characters a few times and had to use the mobility of the motorcycle against them. I wouldn't want to think about what might have occurred had I been depending on pedal power.

Yes, I really should carry a sidearm on my commute- but can't.

9:38 AM  
Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

$3.05? We were told that after Ike prices would go up over $5.00 and yet gas prices seem to be dropping just about everywhere.

I've never had to do call, fortunately, but if I sign up for a new program at work, I'll probably have to do something like that.

Although you didn't say so to the readers, call also means not being able to drink, go too far from home, or do a lot of other things that "normal" people take for granted.

1:53 PM  
Blogger DouginSalcha said...

Xavier,

Have to tell you that I don't ride my bicycle in the winter up here in and around Fairbanks, AK but there are people who do.

Not sure why anyone would want to ride at -20 to -30 but they do; they usually have to wear reflective clothing because of the darkness. From early December to mid January we have 4 to 5 hours of 'twilight' and bicycles can "appear out of nowhere" literally...

7:34 PM  
Blogger TOTWTYTR said...

Ooops, either there was a typo in your post or I misread the price as $3.05. I feel so much like Joe Biden now.

10:05 PM  
Blogger JJR said...

I've also noticed more motorcycles and scooters in and around Denton, Texas, where I live/work.

I'm very fortunate I can do the bipedal commute (walk).

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so what is the coldest you ride Xavier? I have ridden in the teens...but i rather ride in the 20s always enjoy you post miguel from Maine

1:35 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

I dunno Miguel, I just started commuting by bike this year. I haven't faced winter yet.

I suspect that when it gets into the 30s I'll consider the Jeep.

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home