A Nurse with a Gun

Saturday, October 04, 2008

Pawn Shop Circuit: A KelTec PF9

I visited Neil's pawn shop this afternoon, and among his handgun selection was a KelTec 9mm pistol with a grip that spoke of something new. Gone was the sharp polymer checkering that had caused me to apply emery paper to my P-32. This pistol had raised pads on a black plastic grip frame. It appeared to be a single stack gun with the extractor and rear sight attached with Allen screws. I made a mental note of the price and tried not to look too interested. Neil wanted $219 for the gun.

This evening, I went online to KTOG.org, a forum that I once frequented when I first bought my P-32. I still carry my P-32, and it has been a good little gun. I had to "fluff & buff" it, and it is a .32 ACP, which I'm not too fond of, but it provides me the option of packing something when I would otherwise be packing nothing. Even though I considered their products to be starter kits to a carry gun, KelTec customer service has always been exemplary. This might be a decent bicycle gun. I was hopeful..... I began to read........

I found this thread, a synopsis of the PF9 and it's tribulations in early production.

More:
Mousegun's Review of the PF9
Gun Blast Review of the PF9
Ed Buffaloe's Review of the PF9

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger JAFO said...

Damn I wish that was local... :(

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that this would be an appropriate comparison, but how would that gun compare to a Glock 26 or 27?

9:32 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

Argh JAFO, don't do that.......

I will resist, I will resist,

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like the PF9 is a niche-filler, but not of a niche that I have. If you need something small, go for the P-3AT. The next step up from there should be a compact 1911.

The PF9 would be good if you didn't already have a P32 and a compact 1911, but I don't think it's likely to be worth it for someone like you.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is a very good price. i wear one when i am in shorts. recoil is almost painful because it is so light. you need one.

gorr

1:53 AM  
Blogger Mark Horning said...

That is a Very Good Price. The PF-9 is enough heavier than the P3AT that it's not quite in the same category.

Still a pocket gun, but you need bigger pockets. Recoil really isn't that bad, a lot like the P3AT.

And the extrctors have been held in with a button head allen screw for quite some time now.

4:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an awesome price; around here (NC) they go for $300 plus if you can find one anywhere. I have one with a 3 digit serial I bought a couple of years ago when they first came out for $239, and I have never had a problem of any type. Very good gun for the money!Go back tomorrow at opening , maybe it will still be there. Just be sure you like DAO, though......

7:57 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Count me in as a pleased Kel-Tec owner- P3AT, PF-9, P-11 (sold to buy the PF-9) and a Sub-9. The PF-9 needed a replacement magazine catch- free replacement part and the firing pin channel cleaned of steel fragments from the manufacturing process. There was enough grit that it caused the firing pin to lodge stuck out of the breech.

Since then its been perfect. All it needs now is the right CCW holster to become my daily carry gun.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

P.S. Buy a Sub-9 carbine as soon as you can find one! Its the perfect "under-the-seat" gun.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Joe Carpenter said...

As a P32 and P11 owner, I can highly recommend the PF9. My friend has one he loaned me for some time, so I have had opportunity to shoot the P32 vs PF9 and PF9 vs P11 side by side. The 9MMs definitely have more kick than the .32, and for my hands, the mag finger extensions help quite a bit.
I can tell you right up front, the PF9 has a lighter DA pull than the P11. Makes my groupings more on center (P11 punches to the right still- gotta work on my pull) But if you're looking for 9mm capacity the P11 holds 12+1, the PF9 holds 7+1.
But with Kel-Tec prices, why not just pick up both?

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not the Ruger LCP?

1:52 AM  
Blogger 4NIK8R said...

Bought one new, love it. Light, small, reliable. No jams with OEM loads. Heavier grain bullet helps slow action therefore reduces recoil. Note...limp wristing can cause hangups so shoot it like you mean it! I know of 5 owners who all highly recomend for either a backup or CCW. I'm try'n to find tritium sights. Oh yea... Ruger LCP have a recall man.

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home