A Nurse with a Gun

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

S&W Model 27-2 Jinks Letter

One of the real treasures in gun collecting is a "Jinks Letter" from the Smith & Wesson historian Roy Jinks. Click to enlargeOften chocked full of information, and with the specifics of the date of shipment and configuration at time of shipment, a Jinks Letter is considered to be authoritative proof that a given Smith & Wesson gun is what it appears.

Mr. Jinks recently raised his price for a factory letter to fifty dollars, up from the thirty dollar fee he previously charged. Never the less, it is still one of the best investments a collector of Smith & Wesson handguns can make on a rare or unusual specimen. Here is a three page Jinks letter on a Model 27-2 that I had lettered for a friend. Click the photos to enlarge and read.

Click to enlarge Page 1Click to enlarge Page 2Click to enlarge Page 3

It turns out my friend's revolver was shipped on September 21, 1970, to Woodward Wright & Co. in New Orleans. It had a three and a half inch barrel and walnut grips.

Even though nothing extraordinary was discovered, the barrel configuration was confirmed to be original. Three and a half inch Model 27s are some of the hottest guns on the collector market, although a collector would desire a much more pristine revolver than this. This is on you don't have to worry about shooting.

I still wish I had beat Lester to that gun show table.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my drool gun is a #27 w/ the even rarer 5" barrel. Last time I saw one was about 1975 for sale in the local Raley's grocery store of all place. By the time I got back with $$$ it was gone.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Peripatetic Engineer said...

Interesting. Woodward Wight was an industrial supply house. You can still make out their building in the warehouse district.

6:13 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever." Thanks for sharing the 27 and the letter with us.

I like the spelling of "New Oleans".

10:06 AM  
Blogger Xavier said...

New Oleans............ I didn't notice that! ;^)

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I shoot and carry a Sig 226 and Glock 27. More firepower for the weight and size, but I love shooting old Smith & Wesson revolvers. There's something about the feel of a revolver that gives the shooter more control than an autoloader.

Mike

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,

A question: Why are serial numbers of firearms usually blanked out in paperwork or photos? I'm sure there is a reason, but I am curious as to what it is.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Xavier said...

The reason I blurred two digits of this gun's serial in the Jinks letter is the same reason I blurred my friend. It's her gun, not mine, and I want to respect her privacy. It's the right thing to do.

I don't advocate blurring of serial numbers. Reorganizing the digits can have the same effect without the asthetic diminishment.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Peripatetic Engineer said...

I knew you knew that but I usually don't associate Woodward Wight with firearms. Of course, you could buy just about anything through them.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xavier,
Does Mr. Jinks actually use a typewriter on these letters?

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home