A Nurse with a Gun

Monday, November 03, 2008

Defender Bushings

This afternoon I took the trimmed down grip safety to a motorcycle shop for a bead blasting. It came out great, and only cost me a six pack of Bud. Bottled, of course.

I swapped out the grip screw bushings to slim grip bushings in preparation for the slim cocobolo double diamond grips. I used Permatex red threadlocker to secure them in place.

I'm considering a stainless steel mainsping housing. I do not own any 1911s other than the New agent that still have a polymer housing installed. I'm actually thinking about swapping them both. I wish a reasonably priced aluminum housing were available for the stubby Officer's Model. The decision would be easy then.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Mark Horning said...

The only options I know for an aluminum MSH are Smith & Alexander and VZ Grips (available from Brownells or VZ). S&A would probably be my choice. Both are around $40 though.

I've had the original plastic mainspring hosing on my 1991 Compact for 10+ years and never had a problem with it. My carry piece also has a plastic MSH (Kimber). Yeah it looks a little "off" but it seems to work just fine, and it's lightweight.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Old NFO said...

Go check here- http://www.cylinder-slide.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=MainSPHousing

Or call then and see if they will get you one. Mark's options in the above post are also good recommendations.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

If you are a (or know someone who is a) C&R FFL licensee (or are an armorer/LEO/etc.) you can get a professional discount from Brownells.

That would make the price for the VZ be $33.95 (vice $45 retail), and the stainless steel MSH from S&A is $26.95 (vice $36.95 retail).

You can also do a google search for "brownells discount" and possibly find current coupon discount codes for free shipping.

Semper Fi,
Dave

11:02 AM  
Blogger Katar Hol said...

I just put one of these on layaway. I am replacing a Kimber Ultra Raptor that has never been reliable.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, hows it?
I have always wanted to "build" my own 45. But, I don't have any machining talents. Are there ANY kits that a guy could get; that doesn't require a garage full of metal working machines?
Hey how about you doing a weekly video post on building a 45? That way we visual learners could watch you build one step by step!?!??
Steve

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home